1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Glitch free analog octave?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SlapinDaBass, Oct 12, 2017.

1. in the market to try a new octave pedal and trying to get some recomendations. I have yet to find a analog octave that does not glitch when sustaining notes especially on the g string. I have heard the best digital is the pog but it does not have that growl that analog pedals make. So far i tried the 3leaf octave tim tuned and a mu -fx octave divider. The 3leaf sounds great but very poor on sustaining notes atleast in the mk2. The octave divider from mufx is much much better but still not glitch free. I know i may be asking for the impossible but i figure i would ask. I hear good things about the cog t65 but never used one

2. I think you may be searching for the impossible. The Mu-fx Octave Divider is one of the best tracking growliest analogue Octavers I've tried. The Foxrox Octron is also great tracking, but they'll both glitch on sustained notes just like any analogue octaver. I do find playing through a passive bass gets you better tracking (opposed to a hot output active bass), but if go digital you'll lose that analogue growl unfortunately.

3. The octave divider is sweet very cool high quality pedal. For sure the best ive heard/used from a analog.

Any opinions on the aguilar octave?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Analog by it's sheer nature is glitchy. You're not gonna find what you're looking for.

5. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Slap a sustaining compressor in front of the octave. Keeping the input signal high, more importantly the fundamental strong is key.

If you have low riding rattling strings you will have difficulty sustaining regardless of pedals.

Flatwounds, treble rolled off, bass boosted, picking technique focused on a round tone all help a bit too.

6. I demoed the Aguilar briefly in a store and found it tracks more or less the same as the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, and both track better than an OC-2. Neither had quite the classic sound of the Boss pedal though at least during the limited time I played around with them.

Alien8 gave some really good pointers too. I put the Octave Divider through the loop of my Boostron sometimes and that helps improve the tracking further.

Thumb n Fingers likes this.
  7. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2008
    What about the POG? I have an original HOG, and it never had any glitches.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

POGs are perfectly glitch free because they are not analog.

9. If you want the OC2 sound then buy an OC2. There really aren't any substitutes.

Jonny_Orange and gregmon79 like this.
  10. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

This. Analog octaves are a tradeoff IME. I love my Octavbre and I adjust my technique and tone controls, especially when playing my active 5er, to get the most out of it. I've had the best success with a P-Bass with flats.

BenHack likes this.
  11. alecduncan

alecduncan

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I replaced mine with a 3Leaf Octabvre Mini - it's pretty damn close to the same tone, with the added value of way more usable volume and (imo) better tracking.

BenHack and arrowsun like this.
  12. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Old Bridge, NJ
    To get what you want, you're gonna need a Boss LS 2, whatever analog octave you want, and a compressor. Put the compressor followed by the octave in the loop of the LS 2, both turned on all the time with the compression set high. Now the LS 2 is your octave pedal. Other than that, there's not much else you can do to guarantee sustained octaves. Also make sure you aren't running any overdrives before, the added harmonic content will make an analog octave crazy. FWIW, the Eventide pitchfactor has a pretty good octave sound for being digital, may be worth a look.

13. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I use the EBS Octabass. It makes great octaves. Doesn't seem to glitchie.

fourtet102 likes this.
  14. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Why don't you use a digital one, but send its separate sub-octave out thru some other processing to create the "growl" you want?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Because it still won't sound like an analog octaver.

Bo0tsy and Ikkir like this.
  16. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    All analog octave pedals glitch and they all have their own quirks. Learn to play the pedal; if the B on the 4th fret of the G glitches play the B on the 9th fret of the D string. Alter the way and where you pluck the string until you find what tracks best. Put the octave first in your signal chain or perhaps after a buffer if using a passive bass. Play as clean as you can and try to not get any fret buzz; buzz=glitch. You must interact with an analog octave pedals to get the most out of it.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  17. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Reno / Sparks, NV
    Closest thing I've found to what you described is a TC Sub N Up with Smooth Bass Tone Print!
    Doesn't glitch cause its digital and to my ears has a more analog-like tone! Not expensive either!

I hate glitches!
    :cool:

18. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    tc is digital.

19. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Go POG, but add some distortion...My sole solitary pedal is a SoulPOG, and it performs wonderfully. Yeah, it doesn't have that same sense of heft/depth as an analog unit, but it ain't bad, and the tracking is a pleasure.