1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glitch-free multi-effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 21, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do they exist yet? I like my old Boss ME-33 but when I switch patches, there's always a momentary glitch while it switches. Kind of sucks when you do something like "For The Love of Money" where you have to turn the reverb on and off a lot.

Also, do any of these multi-effects do flange/phase and envelope worth a crap yet? They have always been the weak link...that's why I always used an outboard pedal for them in the past (Deluxe Electric Mistress and Dr. Q for those of you scoring at home).

2. The Zoom B series is supposed to be a super fast change (web site says .007 seconds). I was surprised by how good the effects sounded, but I had low expectations because of my 607.

3. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    my Zoom B2 changes patches crazy fast and smooth, no glitching

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My GT-6B is pretty smooth for changing patches.

There is glitching in some of the effects modelers, though. Doh!

5. The Zoom B2.1u I have is ultra fast, I use mine to switch sounds during a song and have never noticed any lag even going in and out of bypass.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The only thing that bugs me about the Zoom is having to step through patches. But I did figure out that if you use the ME-33 in manual mode, it doesn't glitch turning effects on and off. Can't use reverb with manual mode, but I can use delay, and it has a good enough phaser, so I'm at least covered for the O'Jays ;)

So I notice everyone's being quiet about the envelopes, wahs and synth sounds in multi-effects. I guess they're still the weak link, huh? Too bad they're the sounds I want most.

7. Korg AX3000B.

Nearly 2 years and still going strong.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    When I had a Boss GT-6B I set it up so that the 4 numbered footswitches could turn 4 individual FX on/off within each patch. No lags/dropouts (or need to actually switch patches). I'm almost certain the new GT-10B can do the same thing. The GTs are fairly complicated--you need to spend some time learning to program 'em to get the most out of them.

I liked the chorus/flanger/phaser on the GT-6B, and while not as greasy as my Ibanez AF-9 analog envelope filter the autowah/envelope worked well.

9. B9.1ut_slant-web.

Envelope Filters???? (Whistles quietly while looking to the clouds)

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hmmm...it apparently imitates a Q-Tron. I take it that it's not good? Or is it? Sorry, I'm not good at picking up on what you mean.

11. Sorry, not good at delivering what I mean. I don't recall the filters on this thing very well, but I've never liked them on any other multis I've used. Was trying to indicate that I would rather be whistling to the clouds than try to sing the praises of the units filters.

But you can throw a Qtron anywhere in the effects chain with the effects loop on the B9.1ut. I don't own one, or really care if you get one, but if patch arrangement and speed of patch change are getting in your way, I know of something that can fix that. It may still not be what you want, though. (I thought I was going to want a m13, but it just couldn't convince me I did)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hmmm...I guess I don't have anything to gain by ditching the ME-33 and getting something newer. I don't even want to think about it until they make one with good envelope/synth tones. Guess I'll see about getting this old Ibanez AF-9 fixed. Sure don't want to lug that Electric Mistress around again, though. I guess I can get used to the ME-33's flanger with its audible beats and whistling filter ;)

13. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    +1 on the Zoom's super fast switching.
    I used to be quite happy with the filter until I got a Q-tron. I wasn't won over by the chorus and flange but I'm not crazy about those two in general.
    The phaser's not too bad, a little unwieldy at times.
    Oddly enough, I've been using the B2 as a tuner/mute and a compressor.

14. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Yeah, I use my B2 mainly as an EQ/Tuner/Compressor. I can't really compare the phaser/flange effects to anything else as I've not really tried other pedals of those kind.

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Well, It hasn't come out yet, but have you seen the thread for the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer? It might just take the cake for your envelope needs, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Fuzz, octaves, synth, a tuner.

EDIT: Just saw your post in the thread. So what do you think?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I think if I can get one for $250 I'll get it ;) Otherwise I'll probably just get an SYB-5 and a Dr. Q.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    **cough** if something happens to the board, all your effects are hosed, unlike analog pedals where you can swap out the bad egg **cough**

dang, sorry bout that, must be the change of weather... :)

18. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007

AF-9? hhmmm... I own only one Ibanez pedal, and it's an auto-filter named AFL. I've had it for over 20 years and it has just recently stopped working. I periodically tried a few others over the years, and always felt happy to have the Ibanez. Really like it's sound & versitility. I too will probably have it repaired.(if poss.). What is the AF-9 like? Also have you tried the Dunlop Q?

19. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Yup, a very good point when considering an 'all in one' unit. It's one reason I don't use one.

re: change in weather? eat more Garlic, and hot peppers.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Never tried the Dunlop, and it's been so long since the AF-9 broke that I can't remember what it sounds like.