1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glitch in my Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razman, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Okay, after several unsuccessfull searches for clues, I figure I ought to ask and see if there are any electronics type gurus out there who could render some assistance or suggestions.

Yesterday while warming up for a show at my church I noticed that I could no longer hear myself. I was coming through the PA, but I had no volume from my rig. I'm running a TE GP12 SMX 4x10 combo sitting atop an old Sunn 2x15 cab, with an additional 2x15 cab on the other side of the stage for our guitarists (the two 2x15 cabs are wired in series for a total of an 8 ohm load for both cabs, and not to exceed the 4-ohm minimum rating). After the song, I checked my rig and the output was weak and distorted. My volume is set at 2; loud, but well within the capabilities of this unit. I didn't see any signs of something frying (smoke, odor) and it appeared that the preamp section was functioning normal as the level lights were where they should have been and I was getting output to the tuner and to the board via the DI output.

At the suggestion of a friend, I put new batteries in my bass (Peavey Cirrus 4; plugged straight in via a cord) and tried again - same result. My guitarist then hit the top of my amp with his fist and it came back to life. Nevertheless, I unplugged everything and slid the amp chassis out of the cabinet and inspected it. Visually it appeared fine, with no obvious signs of any componentry frying or anything. Nothing was hot to the touch; the power amp section was barely warm. Judging from the problem, I thought that the power amp section was the culprit, and unscrewed it from the chassis to inspect the soldering on the underside of the circuit board. Everything appeared to be fine, but I plugged in my iron anyway and touched up the major connections (FETS, power wires, etc.) in case any were bad and unnoticeable by the naked eye.

I put everything back together and hooked it back up, and it worked normally from that point forward for the rest of the night, performing flawlessly during the show. What I didn't do was plug it in and test while it was out of the cab, and try to move some wires, etc. and see if I could reproduce the problem. There were probably some other more thorough troubleshooting steps I could have taken, but time was an issue and it did start working again. Any additional thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

2. Definatly sounds like a dry solder joint if it came back on after being banged

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Man, never thought I would say this but...I agree i_got_a_mohawk. :help:

Now I feel dirty................:p

4. you like it tho dont you ;)

Hell, i never thought id own a TE, ever, but look how that turned out :s

TB is all about opening horizons :p