Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glock .40

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Apr 28, 2005.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    So, I have a buddy who's a cop who thinks he'll be able to get me a used Glock .40 in about a month or so for about $400. Any thoughts? Should I take it? That's about as much as I'm looking to spend and I really like the look and feel of the Glocks.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    what are you so afraid of that you feel you need to have a glock?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If ya like it, I'd take it at that price. I'm not a huge fan on the Glocks and don't know their appropriate values, but it sounds like a good deal.

Ray

4. I have fired a Glock 9mm, with a mag factory 33 rounder. That's a really nice gun... you could do better on the price.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How used? Some cops keep their guns in great condition and some don't. Some keep their guns for 15 years or more and some only a few.. If it's in good condition then it could be a decent deal. If it's .40 then it's either a Glock 23 or 22. I'd guess it's probably a 23. If I were going to get a .40 Glock then that's the model I'd probably want. It's a little more compact but not too small.

Some people don't like the .40 Glocks because it's the model that seems to have experienced the most blowups due to a chamber that has a small area on it in which the casing of the cartridge is not fully supported, however, I've only heard of this kind of a blowup occurring with reloads. Never heard of it happening with good factory ammo. Shoot factory ammo through it and it shouldn't be a risk. They are good, simple accurate guns, IMO and because of it's popularity there are endless accessories and holsters available for it.

If you want to get a new gun that is just as good and has a couple of more safety features then consider a Springfield XD-40. I've seen them selling for around $400 new and $350 or less used. They have already proven to be very reliable and have gotten great reviews. They won the NRA handgun of the year for 2004. I have a subcompact in 9mm and I love it.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ask any number of civilians who successfully use a gun for legitimate self-defense any given day of the year in this country. When you see someone wearing a seatbelt do you ask them what they're so afraid of? What about when you see a fire extinguisher in someone's house? What about people who have health insurance? Of course not...it's not about fear.

brad cook

8. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    a glock? are you a mercenary? perform private security services? *** do you need a gun for?

The right to bear arms...just remember, a bunch of old men in wigs thought it was a good idea to keep slavery around for a while also. Some ideas just need to die.

-----deleted by Nanny...some found this line offensive-----

(and brad cook? nobody else has every broken into your car, stolen your seatbelt, then used it to kill my neighbour)

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    And this will successfully end the "gun debate" portion of the thread.

We know resume a discussion on the financial value of a particular gun ...

Thank you.

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks Jazzbo, I didnt want to comment, but was wondering why the issue of gun control or ownership even came up, its totally irellevant to the thread.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok, sorry j-bo...no more from me.

brad cook

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Cool thanks Brad. I'll get some more of the history from my friend this sunday when I see him again. He made it sound like it was only about a year old and in great condition. I know he's purchased several guns from this guy and has had nothing but great things to say about 'em.

I'll let you know for sure.

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm with Diggy. While that is a good price on a Glock, the Springfileds new are just a few bucks more. However, it looks like I may also be getting a used Glock, so what do I know :D

Oh, and IMO, the best safety on any gun, new or used, is on your shoulders ;)

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah that seems like around and about price for that gun from what i've seen (I am also in look around but for a rifle...)
    if its your buddy i wouldn’t think he would recommend anything bad so if its in good condition and you feel comfortable with that gun more so then other ones, sure go for it:)

Have you shot same gun or that gun before? i say try it in your local range to see how it feels:) i am sure they will have something like that for rent if you cant use that exact gun there:)

Good luck
    Cheers

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    (clears throat)

Perhaps I wasn't loud enough before.

AS OF NOW, ALL MEMBERS ARE TO DISCONTINUE ANY DISCUSSION OF THE MORALITY OF GUNS OR OTHER FIREARMS, EITHER IN REPLY TO A PREVIOUS POST, OR TO BEGIN A NEW POST.

If you wish to debate on guns, you may do so in Tin Pan Alley, assuming you have a supporting membership. This thread does fall within the parameters of an acceptable TB thread, and does not break any rules. The next post dealing with gun debate will make me very very angry. I have not yet had my coffee, and want to go get said coffee. I like coffee. Please, I implore you, it's not hard.

Thank you.

16. Bassturtle- .40s are for sissies. :smug:

The "four deuce" :bassist:

[​IMG]

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Please do... :ninja: i am scared... :bag:

18. In my experience with them, which consists of firing two of the same model .40 Glock (I don't remember offhand, we didn't end up buying it), the shooting experience was vastly different. On the first one, the gun shot easy, didn't have much kick comparitive to the size of the round. It felt like shooting a 9mm. The other one kicked like a .45. I honestly don't know why. Out of curiosity, whats the cap on the magazine of the gun you're buying? The Glock 19 my mom has came with a pre-ban 15 round magazine.

On a side-note: have they started making high-cap mags for glocks again?

19. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i dont know if they still make them, but they can be easily found at swap meets.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, the law expired to little opposition last year.

brad cook