Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glock, Millenia, Epifani or Avalon Pre??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Feb 8, 2005.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Hey All-

I'm curious what everyones experience has been with any of the preamps listed (or others that are comparable).

I'm looking to replace my Demeter HBP-1, for several reasons, and the ones I'm considering are the Glock bass art, Millenia TD-1, Avalon U5 or 737, or the new Epifani preamp. I've heard most of those pre's in different settings, but never in a gig setting, or for any real length of time, except the TD-1.

I guess I'm looking for something a little more 3D sounding, more lush and hifi without being overly bright or brittle. Also something with a lower noise floor would be nice. tubes or SS don't matter so much to me as long as the tone is right.

So I just thought I'd throw it out there, and see what peoples opinions are having heard or owned those preamps. The rest of the gear I use is several Accugroove cabs, and a crest poweramp.

Thanks,
    Jake
    www.jakewolfmusic.com

2. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I currently own a Millennia STT-1,a Millennia TD-1,and a Glockenklang BassArt Classic pre-amp.I also used to own a Avalon U-5.

To me the Avalon sounded pretty good for using as a DI,but was very limited when being used as a pre-amp.

I didn't think that I would ever find a better pre-amp for bass than the Glockenklang,then I got my Millennia STT-1,and I have to say that sounds even better.The STT-1 also has a compressor built in! It should sound better,it is a hell-of-a-lot more expensive! I still have my Glockenklang in my rack as a spare.

I liked my STT-1 so much,that I bought the TD-1 for gigs where I was going to use it as a pre-amp/DI for my small rig and it worked-out perfect! It is very easy to use and sounds great! On bigger gigs,I use the TD-1 as a DI,going out of the 1/4 thru jack into my STT-1.the DI on the STT-1 is just as good,but I use a seperate DI just in case something happens to my main rig,I still have sound going through the PA.

John

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive played the glock soul and epi 502ul, but not live. To me the epi sounded deeper and richer, but still tight and hi/fi. I like them both a lot, but my vote would go for the epifani.

4. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    There is a HUGE difference in the pre-amp in the Soul compared to the BassArt Classic.The BassArt is very warm,almost tube-like,yet very hi/fi. To me,I think that the BassArt sounds much better than the Epifani.

John

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I guess if you can afford the Millenia they are supposed to be great.

I have an Avalon U5 and it it works great for me as a preamp and DI. I also have a SansAmp BDDI for when I want a not so clean tone.

I run it through a QSC PLX 1202 and a Bergantino HT112.

6. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I just got an avalon u5 and so far I'm very impressed with the sound--hi-fi, but not cold. Very deep and rich. I have two gigs coming up thursday and friday, and I'll give it a full test

My goal has been get a preamp with less to it--a simple signal path, a great basic tone, less eq options, so I could concentrate on playing the bass instead of twiddling knobs. I've been using a sans amp, either the SABDDI or the RBI, for five years now and it's been good, but I sometimes feel like it's a little too colored. The U5s eq options seems great to me, but I'll know more on Saturday morning.

If it works as a preamp, you could argue it's pretty cheap--I paid $418 on ebay, which is less than most preamps new. I have no experience with the other units you mentioned

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ever thought of trying the Avalon VT-737SP. I've never used one but from what I have seen and heard it seems like it would be a perfect fit for you if you can afford one.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    heard the Millenia's as transparent as it gets, so i doubt it'd do lush. more like "mirror". the U5 does have a magic dust quality to it, but i wouldnt necessarily characterize it as "lush". the Epifani pre to my ears is like a U5 with waaaay more tonal controls.

that said, i think the super pricey 737 would be right up your alley. lush, fat, sweet all come to mind, and i think that's what the BP gents said as well in their last super hifi preamp shootout.

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks fellas, thats some good info.

I've checked out the Avalon 737, but only for recording, never as a preamp in a live rig. Never heard the U5, but the fact that it's all tone presets, and no EQ controls makes me a little nervous about using it as a standalone preamp.

The TD-1 was really nice, I liked it alot. I wrote a review of that preamp for the BassQuake faultline newsletter, but I don't know if it ever got distributed, or if it got shelved. For such a little (sizewise) box, it has more options and controls than anything I've ever encountered. The only thing I didn't love about the TD-1 was the lack of any mid EQ. That would have been a nice addition. I've heard the millenia Origin too, but that is just way too much preamp for me, in terms of both cost and bells and whistles. That being said, the tone was ridiculous. I'm sure John Prock can testify to that, as can Jean Baudin. When Mark from Accugroove had his origin preamp with his 4000 watt crest poweramp going through various accugroove cabs, I almost crapped my pants.

I'm pretty much leaning toward the Glock Bass Art pre, but I'm wondering if the magic of Glock is partly due to the power amplifiers in their heads... To clarify, would a bass art head sound better than a bass art Preamp with a Crest or QSC poweramp? Sometimes preamps are mismatched for certain amps, either tonally, or gainwise. I'm just curious if anyone has done that comparison. I love the idea of having no fan though, and it being just dead quiet. How much more ideal can it get for recording purposes? Plop your silent amp on top of your mic'd cab and record away!!!

Anyways, thanks again for the info.

Jake
    www.jakewolfmusic.com

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I forgot that BP did a hifi preamp shootout. I should go look that one up. There's bound to be some helpful info in there.

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Coming soon to Basstasters: Millenia STT-1, thanks to Nightbass.

I played with it a bit last night, and initial thoughts are:
    - less smooth and warm than the Avalon
    - very versatile, but I prefer the SS side
    - CAN get warmer and smoother than the Avalon
    - much much cleaner than the Epifani (so is the Avalon)
    - transformer button is pretty nifty, smoothes it out
    - would be amazing for studio work

Hear for yourself soon...

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The Millenia CAN get very lush, by fiddling with the tube gain and the eq (and transformer switch). It can also go way past lush and into FAT.

To me, the Epifani is nowhere near as articulate or clean as the U5, but it has a great "plug n' play" tone that is very usable. The high-end preamps are a little less user-friendly if you don't like the straight tone.

13. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Just a quick note on the Avalon VT737... I bought one for use in my live rig, and loved the sound. (I had to make a pad for the DI output, though, as it was too hot for our board.) But one night I was playing, and our power went out on stage -- nothing but drums and horns left standing... The power kicked back on after just a couple seconds, and everyone came back on, and the song kept going, except for me. The VT737 has a warm-up period of something like 30-40 seconds. And believe me, that 30-40 seconds is an e - t - e - r - n - i - t - y on stage, when everybody's staring at you like, what the hell, man, and you're sheepishly trying to use hand signals to explain that they just need to wait a bit, and then you'll be right back.

Anyway, after that, I relegated it to my studio, and I've enjoyed it very much there. Sometimes it really is better to keep it simple live, and leave ultimate tone for when it really matters (in the studio).

And in other news... I just got a Glock Bass Art Classic yesterday! I got home too late to try it out, but I can't wait to check it out.

14. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Wolfbass...just curious, what are the reasons for replacing your Demeter?

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have the Glock Soul Top and I can't say enough good things about it. I don't play loud so it has enough power for me. With that said, I would LOVE to have a Glockenklang Bass Art Classic pre and a Crest CA9. I would imagine that to be an unreal rig. I love the warmth of the Soul preamp. It also has a very quick response which I like a lot. I have heard that the Bass Art pre is even better.

I'm also very interested in trying the Mellenia TD-1.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    John, between the Glockenklang pre and the TD-1, which do you prefer? Is the TD-1 enough in the eq department? I feel that with a great bass you shouldn't need much eq'ing.

17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Let me just say that it is a really great sounding preamp. And Demeter customer service is great, the guys there really go the extra mile. I guess I'm looking for somthing a little more hifi without being as bright, if that makes any sense. It is a very quick, precise preamp, but with my setup, it can sound a little brittle. I end up with the presence knob at 0 and the treble rolled off quite a bit, and then when the harshness disapppears, the clarity kind of goes away too.

Also, I find the noise floor on my HBP-1 to be a little high. It might just be my particular unit, I haven't heard anyone else say that about theirs.

18. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Exactly why I gave up my HBP-1 after just a couple weeks. (Amd oddly enough, I didn't think their old one, the 1.5 rack-space, was like this.)

19. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

I was thinking about a 737 in a live rig, but the advice I got was that it's a bit to delicate to be in a 4 or 6 space rack. Would you agree?

THe one is to die for, I'm sure. I have a U5 and I live with not having an EQ, but I can't ge the 737 out of my head.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would never bring a 737 out to a gig. It's definately meant for the studio, and for that it excels at.

I hoping to check out the Millenia Media TD-1 out this weekend. I'm very afraid that I'll fall in love with it. That into a Crest CA9...........Oh man! We'll see.