Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatner, Sep 30, 2005.

1. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Well, having just got rid of my Ampeg SVT3 pro (too quiet), my Sansamp RBI (nice but not the features I need), my Trace Elliot GP12SMX preamp (loadsa features but not the sound I want) and my 2 Ampeg speakers (2x10 and 1x15, not enough power handling), I've finally expelled some GAS and bought a Glockenklang Bass Art classic preamp and Schroeder 1212. They are both being shipped at the moment and I hope to play through my finished rig in about 2 weeks.

Here is the final rig:

Fender Jazz Marcus Miller sig edition (with hipshot detuner, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and John East preamp)
    Musicman Stingray 5

10u rack
    Power distributer (yet to be decided)
    Korg rackmount tuner
    Glockenklang Bassart classic preamp
    DBX 266XL compressor
    QSC RMX1450 power amp

Schroeder 1212 flight ready cab

The QSC will be bridged into the 1212. Hopefully this will settle me down for a while. I'm sick of having mismatches of power handling and output and always just not enough output.

Does anyone out there have a similar rig? What do you think of it? Do you think I may need more power handling than the 1212 for fairly large outdoor gigs with PA support (cruise ship deck parties)? My Ampeg rig was running maximum of 450 watts (even with the QSC which I ran in stereo). It's always been just a little too quiet and I wish I had extra headroom and bottom end. Generally turned the bass down and increased the low mids in a bid to cut through without clipping (which always happened with the bass just at 12 o clock on the Sansamp).

What are your thoughts? I'll post a pic when it is all ready.

I'm yet to play through a schroeder cab. I hope I don't wish I'd bought the 410.
  2. Mark, it sounds like your rack is going to positively dwarf your Schroeder cabinet! Why not dump the 10u rack, the DBX (you prolly won't need it with the Glock!), tuner, power strip and just rack your pre+power amps? If you went with a strobostomp tuner you'd have it all covered in half the rack space. Just a thought... feel free to ignore.
  3. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Congrats on your new gear. MM works perfectly with glock preamp, and schroeder probably will too. We're waiting for review off course.

Don't get rid of dbx, sometimes I feel MM sounds too much open, ('cause glock is soooo transparent) and slight doze of compression helps. Dbx does it perfectly.
  4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    YOu can't go wrong with a Glock Schroeder setup. After all, that is what Jorg uses. I think you will be very happy with this setup.
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is Jorg still using that Glock Soul I sold him?
  6. OH YES!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great to hear Jorg!!!! What a fabulous amp that is. I'm really glad that you ended up with it.
  8. yes, it is a great amp; I use it mainly for mid size gigs, for smaller stuff I use my TV preamp with Focus SA, and for outdoor gigs the DB750. All 3 are excellent setups.
  9. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Hi Jorg. Can't wait to try all this stuff out. I knew you'd be around here somewhere. If the 1212 isn't loud enough I'll probably ordering a further 1210. That way I can use one or the other for small gigs and both for big gigs.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    That'd be my recommendation for a portable kickin' system.

Do you already have the RMX?

If not I'd suggest going with the RMX1850HD or maybe a second-hand Stewart World 2.1.
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have that pair, and they sound great together!!!