Glock Soul, EBS HD350, or Walter Woods?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tworock, Apr 12, 2003.

1. tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    I'm looking for a really good amp for blues, R&B, and some classic rock. Unfortunately, I am unable to test drive any of these. Any opinions? Especially from those who have compared them...thanks
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Those are interesting choices for the type of music you play. If these are the three amps that you are dead set on then I would suggest the Glockenklang. The EBS I imagine would be too clean sounding as well as the Walter Woods. Well, then again the Woods kills for just about anything. The Glock has the clarity and more warmth though.

Have you thought about checking out the Ashdown ABM500? This is probably the best amp out there for the styles that you are talking about.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's interesting that you call the EBS too clean, compared to the Glockenklang...I've played both.

The Glock is as hi-fi as it gets. You can probably coax some really warm, fat tones out of it, though. If you play a vintage sounding bass, the Glock will portray exactly that. To carry that down the same road, the HD 350 by EBS is kind of along the same lines, but also has amp modeling features, a drive section (IIRC), and is louder than the Glockenklang.

Either way, they'd both be nice.

I've never played a Walter Woods, though.
  4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I've got a Walter Woods and can't say a negative thing about it. I almost always play it with the EQ set flat. (Maybe a tweak here or there)

To my ears, it really lets the sound of your bass come through, rather than color it. I loved the sound of my old Trace Elliot, but was blown away at how my rig sounded with the WW. Plus, at 7 lbs, it's SO easy to carry.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried the others you mentioned, but for what it's worth, I can't praise the Walter Woods enough.
  5. And you better be ready to wait a year for your walter woods amp
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have Woods envy....:p
  7. tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    Thanks for your feedback so far. Emjazz, I'll take a look at the Ashdown. Thanks for the tip.
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I would agree on the Ashdown suggestion. The Glock and the EBS are more modern sounding heads by nature. As RAM stated, if your axe is vintage sounding you'll get that out of those two. I've only heard a Walter Woods briefly but from that experience I would assume that the results would be similar to the Glock/EBS. One more I would consider is the Genz Benz GBE600. It's very nice head with a lot of warmth but it does a great job of handling that modern tone also.
  9. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Glock Soul. I have one. It is exquisite! Man, I can't say enough.:D
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey Steve!

good to see you on the boards. nice name, too. hehe... i'm actually seriously thinking about picking up Sean C's Two Rock Custom prototype.

anywho, hope you're learning alot on the forum. do a search, too, and you'll see TONS upon TONS of info on these amps. very popular round these parts.

my vote for blues and rock? Eden WT400!! but of course, you already knew that... ;)

good luck!
  11. tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    Hey Joker, I've been lurking here a lot. I've done quite a bit of searching and reading. I know that you are a big fan of the Eden. For some reason, after all of the research, these amps are calling my name. I bought an Aggie 1x12 to start, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a used Lakland USA Joe Osborn. I came really close to buying a DB359, but when I went to pick it up - forget about it! This has been a painful search - there are so many great choices. And without any choices locally, it makes it even more difficult.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

actually, you'll read, i'm not exactly a fan of Eden at all! but for your app, it might be best.

i'm more of a clear, transparent kind of sound that i get with my Demeter, while Eden's do that darker, warmer, more aggressive, rock type sound.

another idea would be an Alembic F-1X preamp and power amp of your choice. great old sckool Fender Bassman (when the amp was really intended for bass!) tones.

great choice with the Aguilar tho. one sounds great, but a pair with enough juice can be devestatingly loud.