Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glockenklang 112 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, Apr 27, 2003.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Anyone tried the Glockenklang 112? Thoughts?

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    These cabinets and amps are as scarce as lips on a chicken. And prices are pretty high from what I've seen. I would assume that it pretty common stuff in Germany, though. :meh:

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Common.
    Expensive:bawl:

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    retail price is about 615€ in Europe.

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Isn't the Euro about 1 to 1 on the dollar? If so that would mean that the Glock 112 is less than the EA and Epifani 112. Or pretty close to the same, anyway.

6. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Jerry, that's in Europe. By the time you import it and move it through a distributor (Salwender) and a dealer, it's almost twice as much. For example, Glock Soul Top Heads sell for about 1100 Euros in Europe and $1750 here in the US.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    A german dealer told me that it´s sound is not far from the Aguilar 112. I haven´t tried either though.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The problem with the Aguilar 112 is that if you push it then it will fart out (break up). I don't know if this happens with two cabs but it definately does with one.

I imagine that the Glockenklang is also of a higher quality than the Aguilar. The Aguilar is less than $400 new. Glockenklang is known for using high quality parts and therefore is more expensive. I'm very interested in how the Glockenklang compares to Bergantino. I think that Berg is making the best, most intelligent cabs out there. He seems to have the most knowledge about what he's doing. I would like to find the quality of the Bergs with a more monitor/uncolored type of tone.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Maybe the salesman told me so because the Aguilar is more expensive than the Glockenklang here in Europe.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, I was just in Switzerland and I couldn't believe the prices on Aguilar gear. Well, then again it was Switzerland and everything is expensive.

11. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Euphonic Audio!

12. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oh, I'm aware of the high cost of importing the Glock's. I was just commenting on the reasonable (?) price if one was in Europe.

I would suggest the EA 112 as a monitor type cabinet that would probably take a considerable amount of pushing.

I agree on the Bergantino cabs being awesome. I am duly impressed with my HT112. To me it is seasoned just right. There seems to be nothing glaringly wrong with it. It just seems to do everything right.;)

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Amen to the Bergs!

Actually Jim Bergantino did try coax speakers originally, such as the EA's use, and he felt that they didn't produce the same quality sound as a seperate speaker/tweeter or horn combonation. I don't know though if this included the kevlar speaker types. Also, I don't know of any high end audio companies that use coax speakers. I guess I'm just sceptical of the design. I would love to try the whole EA line, among some other company's products, but there just isn't a well rounded bass retailer in the Boston area that offers lots of different company's products to compare. I don't know why I just can't go with the Bergs. I guess I just want to see what others have to offer before I make a decision.

14. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Have you considered Epifani's?

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've owned Epifani cabs. I like them but the crossover and the horns just aren't all there.

16. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    What do you mean?

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There are companys out there that are using better quality horns/tweeters and they really do make a difference. Also, I feel that you can hear the seperation between the horn and the speakers with the Epi's. There isn't a seamless transition.
    I will say that I do like the Epifani cabs a lot and I havn't tried any of the newer cabs. Nick's still using the same horns and tweeters though.

18. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Emjazz, who do you think makes the best 2x10 cab?

19. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I have a Glock 212 and a 115. They are nothing short of glorious! As for farting, mine haven't broken up yet. Even with my 8-string. That's quite a feat. All the other cabs mentioned here are worthy of consideration as well though. It's all good.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Daytona: I really don't know man. I havn't honestly tried a lot of cabs out there. Also, I think it's all up to the individual. I like the Bergs a lot. I've tried Eden, SWR, GK, Ampeg, Aguilar, EBS, Epifani. They all have had their strengths and weaknesses. It all depends what you are looking for in your individual sound.

Trip: The reason I have regained curiousity in the Glockenklang gear is because of a small post here on Talkbass that you posted. Glockenklang has an incredible reputation and I would like to check out their gear. Of coarse there is nowhere to actually play it here in the U.S. so I'm trying to get some input from people out there who use their products. I love 12's and they just came out with 112 cabs. I'd like to pair them with either a Woods, an IAMP800 ($1,000 cheaper) or possibly the soul head. I'm concerned about the low wattage of the Soul though. Whatever amp I choose I'll probably put a tube pre before the amp.

I'm definately getting off topic.

Trip, I would love to go with the setup that you have, the 212 and 115, but I need a more portable rig. How does the 212 sound by itself. I know that 2 112 cabs would be different but I'm sure similar.