Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glockenklang amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Does anyone have any experience with these amps? Tell me more about them and the way they sound, reliability, and power ratings. Is the 400 watts of the Heart Core or the 440 watts of the Soul head enough? I am currently using two GS112's with a Demeter VTBP 201S and a Crest Power amp (1300 watts). I really love the headroom that the crest provides, even though I don't turn it up past a quater of the way. thanks Marc

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Glock heads are hands down some of the best amps I have ever heard. They are very warm, articulate and most imporantly musical. I would say though that the power they offer is less than adequate. A lot of power is not only good for headroom but it offers a cleaner, punchier sound. I just recorded with a 2100 watt Stewart power amp and it was just incredible how good my bass sounded. If you're interested in Glockenklang I would look into the preamp that they offer. It gets you the Glockenklang tone with the option to power it properly.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Marc, what don't you like about the Demeter pre with the 112's? I was thinking of this combination myself.

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    glockenklang preamps are definitely great option. I also use bass art classic and it's so good, but think it's too expensive for what you get in USA.

5. I used to have similar amplification with a Crest Vs1100 power amp and a Peavey Max pre. The sound was good but I didn't care for the weight of the amp and I didn't need all the bells and whistles on the pre.

Now I have the Glockenklang Soul head and guess what, I don't miss the Crest/Peavey at all. Even though it is rated lower, it has plenty of power and headroom for my purposes. Just yestderday we played a medium size venue (200 people) and the amp was turned half way up. As a matter of fact, I have never turned it past 2/3. Obviously for bigger venues and outdoor gigs you'd have to go through the PA. Cabwise I use SWR 2x10 and 1x15.

I can only say good things about the Soul head. Simple and musical, and the five band eq is very effective. If you get your sounds from a good bass and your hands, this is the amp for you.

Is it worth the money? Here in central Europe, yes. But with the markup for export and customs and Glockenklang's reputation you'll have to decide for yourself. I paid $1200 for mine.

6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I just bought a Heart Core head. It will be here within a week...I can't wait. If for some reason there is not enough power for me, the Glock will be up for sale. Let you guys know hanks, Marc

7. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    You buy yours from John Prock?

8. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    BTW, the Heart Core has a preamp out on it if you want to amplify it more.

9. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Yep. Can't wait.

10. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    That deal was just too good to pass up.

11. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Yamarc, just so you know I did confirm that you can run out of the preamp out into either another head or power amp and still have two 8 ohm or one 4 ohm cabs running from the speaker outs at the same time. That definitley eliminates the headroom issue.

12. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I think I see what you mean...pretty cool. I am a little confused about the speaker cable(s) we will need to use the Glock. Female XLR?

13. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Yup. john explained it to me. You need an XLR to 1/4 fix on this. One pin is positive, one neg and the other open I belive. Still need to use speaker cable too. Probably easiest to make your own.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, its up for sale. what happened? not enough headroom or you just prefer a different tone?

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

May-unn, I sure don't want to rain on your parade......I'd love to have a Glock.

But are you planning on playing out with this rig??? I'm just thinking about the practical considerations, such as;

- who's loading it into the truck and do they give a damn that they're handling exquisite gear?
    - theft (especially the truck setting in the parking lot, loaded)
    - quirky house wiring (e.g., what happens when the ice machines/AC kick on????)

Just wondering. I always bought less than I could really afford because I couldn't eagle-eye my gear every minute.

If that stuff isn't an issue, that's great! I tried two Glock cabs and they were absolutely wonderful.

16. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    The Glock does what it says. It is nice and warm and true to your instrument. However, I play a Modulus flea 5 and the sizzle of the graphite neck is accentuated by the Glock. Plus, I just have too much money in it. It was a quick decision and I should have consulted ny account beforehand. I think I want something cheaper and more "colored" I can dial out the pankiness of the graphite on the Glock, but it loses some of the airyness of the highs. I will probable change the pups and go from there. The glock is plenty loud, and plenty warm, but also plenty expensive for me.

17. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    One of the reasons why I bought Glock was that it is very modestly priced, in Europe that is :). I couldn't get any Ampeg, Ashdown, EBS, etc. for the same money. As it is not so well known brand, you don't have to pay for the logo.

18. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Expensive Ampeg is understanding, but ashdown or EBS:meh:

19. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Checking the prices...
    Actually the MAG line and ABM300 are cheaper than Glock. EBS is more expensive and not widely available in net stores.

20. Could anyone compare a Glockenklang to an SWR amp. I have a SWR Bass750, and thinking of going for a preamp-poweramp solution, since it would allow me to bring only the pre to studios etc. I can get a 1000 watt poweramp cheap, so I could spend more on the pre, but I don't know what to look for. I like the true sound of the SWR, but I might as well consider other brands.