1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glockenklang BASS ART CLASSIC TOP owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lkman_4, Feb 21, 2008.

1. lkman_4

lkman_4

May 14, 2007
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I am the only person I know that uses the Bass Art Classic Top from Glockenklang and I would just like to know if there is anyone out there who uses the same or has used the head. I really need some feedback from this crowd...thanks alot.

Bass_Art_Classic_Top_400x160.

2. The Classic is a wonderful amp. Very versatile, natural, and open sounding.

What do you need to know?

3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I've played through one & was very, very impressed. Best SS head I've played through.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Heart-Core and a Heart-Rock (plus multiple Glock cabs), but no Bass Art Classic (yet!). :smug:

My Heart-Core is probably my favorite SS head, and it beats out some very, very nice competitors to earn that top spot. :cool:

Tom.

5. I have a Bass Art Classic Pre (that was made special order for 240v) shipping as we speak. I intend to use it with my CA9. What feedback are you looking for regarding the Bass Art Top?

6. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I've been a Bass Art user for 3 years now. The EQ section is very versatile, (not that I need to use it much, :)) and the more I turn it up the more the sound really blooms. It never gets harsh or loses bottom end at high volumes. It also feels great to play and very responsive to touch. Heart-Core and other Bass Art owners may be able to describe this better. Even though it's rather heavy and I weigh 155 pounds wet, I STILL lug that thing up and down stairs with glee. I've not wanted for more power either. It has competed for stage volume in VERY LOUD heavy bands and does wonderful for my solo bass stuff. I hope this helps.

7. lkman_4

lkman_4

May 14, 2007
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    no doubt, this amp can push out the true sound of the bass and it is very responsive. have you guys had clipping problems? also, i still havent found that tone im looking for. you know..that type of tone when you just plug in there is really no need to eq anything..it just sounds great. well in this case. im always messing with the eq balancing out the lows and highs..its really getting on my nerves considering how much i payed for this thing. im not ready to give up yet. please let me know what suits best for the beauty and share any experiences or problems you have had. i need all the help i can get...

8. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I use mine with Glock 212 and 210 cabs. I don't feel the need to EQ much, if at all. What kind of cabs are you using? What kind of sound do you want? What kind of bass? It may not be the right thing for you. I haven't had any issues with clipping either. Hope this helps.

9. lkman_4

lkman_4

May 14, 2007
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use a quattro 4x10..pretty ideal cab for this amp if you ask me. well..lets see..i think the clipping is my main pet peeve..when slightly adjusting the gain automatically there is clipping. does this happen to you? Do you have problems with volume output also? Id like to think i can crank it not have clipping problems, but this doesn't seem to be the case...does action on a bass affect the clipping? anyway ..im just looking for a balanced sound where lows and highs both stand out and remains to make you rattle on the inside. what are your settings like? thanks

10. lkman_4

lkman_4

May 14, 2007
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    im also using a dingwall afterburner II..i have a feeling the bass is what accounts for this trouble in finding the right tone.. but honestly my fingers run smoothly all over this thing. but its a dingwall..i should be getting a decent tone everytime.

11. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    The Master Volume is an audio taper pot. In other words, the slope is more gradual. You might be setting the preamp too high and clipping that out because the Master is set too low. My personal setting with my passive J bass is using input A Preamp volume 'tween 3 and 4 and Master to taste. On loud gigs it will go up between halfway and 2 o'clock and sometimes beyond. As for EQ I'll use a boost at 500 at about 3 db and a small cut at 1.6 if I use any. With my active basses I might drop the preamp down a bit and I generally don't use any EQ on my basses except for some high end boosts and cuts. Nothing drastic. My action is pretty low, and I don't have any clipping problems from the bass. You have PM. Hope this helps.

TRIPSTER

12. lkman_4

lkman_4

May 14, 2007
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I should have studied this thing more. im really clueless with amps. buy you are a great help. its good to know someone who knows what they are doing. so where exactly do you adjust preamp levels? oh man...can you give me a tutorial on this thing?:p also, have you lost knobs? the knobs keep falling off and when i do wrench it back on it just comes lose again!

13. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Check your PMs. BUT! :) I set the preamp where the light comes on, ONLY when I hit it hard. You can also try this: Use input 2 and have a start with the trim all the way UP. The main master all the way DOWN. No EQ. Crank the master, and don't be afraid to go all the way UP with it. It's not noisy. Don't be afraid. (I realize this is a bit counter intuitive.) Start there. If it STILL clips try backing off of the trim control and turn the master up and up and up. Then, if things are working like you want, then apply EQ. (Keeping in mind, that it will work just like a mixing console strip.) Everything will contribute to the overall gain structure. When you understand this, then you'll be up and running with the Bass Art.

14. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    As for the knobs falling off...Never. Mine is in a flight case and has taken nose dives onto concrete on more than one occasion (one was drop of 5 feet and it did bend the front panel a bit) and that thing works like a charm!

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Is is clipping to your ears or are you just seeing the light come on?
    The designer wants you to crank it and talked of putting in a different colored light because red means clipping to use. To the designer it means you are getting into the "fatning" tubish saturation range which it's designed to do. My pre is really clear at 12 but I get that satch at 1 or 2 with a Roscoe 5. So it's okay to get that light lit it's not "clipping" like on other amps.
    If in doubt about your bass try another one just to see. Also pu height could cause you some of problems if they are too close. Just fishin' for you here.