Glockenklang bass art preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatner, Mar 17, 2005.

1. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Anyone got a Glock Bassart preamp?

I have been looking at them on the net and they look very good. Never heard one but am looking for a more transparent preamp. I have a sansamp RBI into a QSC RMX and although I really like the XLR out level control, the sound is too affected for my liking. I am not after a rock sound. I need it to cover every style from classical to country to thrash to jazz to pop (ship gig for a living and rock gigs at home). Therefore I figure that transparency would be the way to go. However, I do need some the ability to make tonal variations and an XLR level control would be handy (which the Glock has).

I am intending on coupling it with an Accugroove El Whappo through my QSC RMX1450.

Also, does anyone know what the Glock output level is like. Will it drive the QSC sufficiently?

2. The Glock BassArt pre amp is a clean transparent pre that sounds open and natural.

I would love to add one to my gear.
    I own a Heartcore amp. A Tedd and a Duo Glock cabs.

My Glock Rocks. :)
  3. Hi shatner,

I have the bass Art head, whith the same Eq section than the bass Art preamp and I can tell how amazingly musical this is. Some say you come to a tri dimensional sound and hear your actual bass sound ( very hifi => your fingers' touch and bass woods ) and that's true. For warmth, nothing to regret for tube construction.

I haven't tried Accugroove yet, but I bet the Glock cabs could compete easily. Have you tried them?

I can't tell for output level matching your Qsc. You should ask Mr Udo KLEMPT, the builder who is very kind and precise whith answers :
  4. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    anyone know where you can buy these preamps online? I had a good look but they are hard to find...
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  7. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Yup, I drive it through plx2402 and aggie cab, plenty loud for all stages, and great tone, too. Don't worry about output level.
  8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Man O Man, Glock bass art > Accugroove is an amazing combination. I have spouted about this here before, and it's really true. I have never heard a better sounding rig than that. I guess its true you get what you pay for eh? I can't comment on the output level of the preamp unfortunately, but I reccomend that setup wholeheartedly.
  9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York

I've been using a Glock Bass Art Classic through a Whappo for the last two months or so almost exclusively for rehearsals and I'm completely sold on it. I've had a chance to speak with Udo from Glock quite a bit lately and I can tell you that he is the real deal. If you're looking for the best integrated bass gear on the market you should really give the Glock gear a listen. The EQ is so musical that everything works - you really can't get a bad sound out of it.

I also have a Heart Rock here and I'm convinced that it might just be the best value around in its class. It has the signature Glock transparent front end but pushed through a very powerful and warm Mosfet power amp. It's also relatively light weight for what you are getting.

Enjoy it if you end up getting one.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Is the Heart-Rock just basically a more powerful version of the Heart-Core?

11. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York

I honestly don't know. They discontiuned the Heart-core before we were dealer so I never really had any exposure to one. The Heart-Rock is a killer though!:)

12. Mark, I saw your profile. Could you compare the Glock versus the Aggie and the Markbass ? Thanks.
  13. On the Glockenklang website they say that the Heartrock is derived from the Soul. They made the tone and gain controls a little more "rock like" (different EQ for the lower mids) and give it more power.

AFAIK the Heart Rock is also a * little * more 'rock like' than the Heart Core.

14. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Hey Tom,
    the Heart-Rock is a more powerful version of the Soul.The Soul took the place of the Heartcore.I was bummed when they quit making the Heartcore,it was a great sounding amp! The Soul is 440 watts and the Heartcore was 400.It was kind of a cross between the BassArt head and the Soul.

By-the-way,I hope you enjoy the Space Deluxe!!:hyper:
  15. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Hey John,

It was great meeting you at the show!

I just read the BP review and this seems to make sense. It seems also like maybe the Heartcore was not a Mosfet power section (as the Soul and Heart Rock are) and somewhat more akin to the BAC's power section.
  16. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    Nothing to add. I'm playing on a Glock rig (Soul+4x10" quatro) for 3 years now and the tone always amaze me. Plug a good bass like my Roscoe and watch out ! Tone tone tone !
    And have someone already talk of that open, clear but incredibly warm sound ?
    You can't go wrong with Glock and Udo is realy great to deal with.

17. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I'm still wishing I wouldn't have sold the eart-Core I bought from you John. what a sweet amp. I am really happy with my current Trace all tube setup, but it would be nice to have both.
  18. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    I got a chance to A/B the Bass Art Classic Head against a Millennia-Media STT-1 Origin preamp and a Glockenklang Bugatti power amp (both through a Whappo Jr.) about six months ago. (The Bass Art Classic Head uses one channel of the Bugatti as it's power amp.) The Bass Art Classic Head held up extremely well. The differences were very subtle. I think it is an outstanding amp. You can get them from TheGrooveShoppe these days, so Joel can give you more than an opinion - he can give you a price too!

Regarding the transistors in the power amp section. Udo says they are using bipolar ring emitter transistors, which are very fast and sound very good (in the Bugatti power amp circuitry). I also spoke to the head designer at a very high end audiophile company about power amp transistor technology. (His company sells power amps that sell for $10k to over $50k, and he said that he preferred bilpolar transistors in this application.)

19. I was a dealer for Glock when I was working with Luthiers Access Group at the time trying to promote Glock, Ritter, Ken Lawrence and other fine products here in NY. I did a few Bass Days and a couple of shows at 5 towns college and one show in the Philly area. Even went to a summer Namm show .Couldnt make dime and ended losing money. But I dont regret it.:meh:
    I sold off my WW once I heard the HeartCore . I just loved the tone and musicality of the amp.
    The amps you mention do different things well.
    There is no denying the power section of the Db 750 and its ability to enunciate every touch and attack of the instrument
    The MarkBass products are just a great value or bang for the buck as the saying goes. I cant see anything so far on the market that offers a clean tone in a quality amp that weighs 6.5 lbs and is at the price point that it is.
    I Love Udo's work on the Glock line of amps and cabinets. For me if money was not a concern I would go Glock. The quality and tone just speaks to me and I am a sucker for them. I love my HeartCore amp and I think the BassArt is a great amp with a wonderful pre amp section that has a 3 d quality and openness to it that makes your bass sound better. My Tedd cabinet has inspired other cabinets to be built and is my all time favorite cabinet that I own.
    I would love to see a Glock lightweight amp along the lines of the GB neo 3.5 or the MB LMII amps. If Udo would come out with such a beast with his pre amp design . Wow I think he would have a killer amp on his hands. And Oh yeah if it could be at a lower price point all the better.
    So IMO my all around choice would be the MarkBass LMII because of its tone quality and portability coupled with a price point that you dint have to rob a bank to pay for it.
    I hope this answers your question.
  20. Yes, thank you Mark.