Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glockenklang COMBO amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Mule, Oct 2, 2004.

1. I've just ordered a Glockenklang 'The Passenger' combo...

[​IMG]

...and I'd like to hear experiences from other users of the Glockenklang COMBO amps (The Passenger + Soul combo). I have played my Alembics through Glockenklang rigs before, but they were far more powerful (Heart Core, Bugatti).

F.Y.I: The Passenger is the Soul head containing a 250 instead of 440 watt poweramp combined with a 12" speaker and adjustable horn.

I hope (and know) it'll blow my Hartke 'mini-stack' out of the water, but at this moment I still intend to use them both in my home 'studio': the Hartke with all sorts of effects and sonic experiments, and the Glock for natural 'hifi' purposes.

It'll take one or two weeks waiting time unfortunately, but on the other hand. This isn't a case of plucking one off the production line, putting it in a box and shipping it to my dealer. The thing still has to be build especially for me, how cool is that (!)

2. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I have not tried the combo, but I have tried the Soul head & currently have the Art head in my studio (Thanks Uwe!)

They are excellent amps with plenty of power, flexibility & tone. Plus, they are VERY, VERY quiet.

Mark
    AccuGroove Pro Speakers

3. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    You will love it! I personally have owned 4-Soul's,3-Heartcore's,2-BassArt's,a BassArt pre-amp,2-Bugatti's,and 12 cabinets!!! I love Glockenklang gear! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    And with the addition of Meyers, you can't get much better than that. ;)

5. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    You got that right!! I have a new Glockenklang BassArt Classic pre-amp coming to go with Meyer rig! I will have the whole system together on Wednesday.

6. Sounds good, but why have you owned so many? I'm hoping for myself this amp is going to last a lifetime... :eyebrow:

7. Someone, anyone? :confused:

8. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    It should.

I don't know why he's owned so many, but I think it might be the fact that he works at a store that sells Glockenklang gear.

And as his user name suggest I think it's safe to say he's a Glock o' holic.

9. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Why so many? I had several different set-up! They all sounded great,and any one of them would last you a lifetime!

John(Prockenklang)

10. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Hey Whappo! Uwe's gonna want that amp back soon for the Dallas guitar show on the 15th so you're going to have to give it up. I feel your pain. Love to thee!

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Uwe will be here tomorrow, but I'll be gone on a needed break. The Glock Art simply rocks big time!

By the way Trip, I think I owe you some coffee & homemade ice cream...next time. ;)

Mark
    AccuGroove Pro Speaker Cabinets

12. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I sell it at the store that I manage in Monterey,Ca.

13. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I use glock preamp for studio work and live . Till now I'm very satisfied

14. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I am playing a Glockenklang Soul top through Epifani ultralights, I can't imagine playing through anything else ever. But then again, the new Heart Rock top looks awesome :D

Steven

15. Well now I just had to jump in here. This is my first post tho I have been lurking here for a couple of months.
    I bought a Glock. Soul head from the folks at Mr. Prockenklangs store in Monterey Ca. about 2 yrs ago and I have never owned an amp I liked better. And I have been playing bass for 38 yrs!
    I am running it thru 2 Aguilar 1/12" cabs and it kicks ass. Even when I was recently playing with a 10 piece "Tower of Power" type band, (Soul Vaccination) It cuts right thru. I have also never gotten as many compliments on my sound AND playing as with this amp. In addition to the loud gigs
    I also use it to play jazz gigs on my Upright Bass. Sometimes with 1 cab for low Vol. Jazz gigs and sometimes w/ 2 cabs for louder blues gigs. Again nothin' but kudos from band mates.
    I really love this amp. I am GASSing to get some new larger (read louder) cabs to go with it, and been following closely the threads on the Shroeder cabs.
    I originally got the amp because I had been playing SWR for 10 yrs and I think when I heard the clarity of the NON tube Glock it just floored me. I also got the Aggie cabs because I had hurt my back and didn't want the extra weight. I still have my Eden 2/10" cab and my SWR 4/8" cab but they never leave the house cause this rig just does it all.
    In terms of the EQ on the Glock it is so well voiced that I usually just dial in alittle bit of bass and a little treble (1 to 2 o-clock ) depending on the room of course but essentially it is pretty much FLAT.
    I do however have one question if anyone can help I have always been a little confused about how to get the cleanest but most power out of this amp as the first 2 preamp knobs ( Input Trim and Peak Gain) have to be set just so...I almost always run Active (older Tobias Killer B 5 st. or my own custom Jazz Bass w/ J-Retro preamp) I notice just looking at it I have them both at around 12 o-clock....Good ...Bad ..I dont know I swear it always sounds good but sometimes I alternate both of them between 12 and 3-o-clock. What, pray tell Mr. Plockenklang is the best, LOUDEST, and cleanest setting for these two knobs???? inquiring minds want to know............I also play a 57' P-Bass and a couple of assorted frettlesses maybe I'll try to post some Pics some time oh well gettin late gotta go Peace out... Captain Kirk

16. The two preamp knobs are actually seperate inputs and don't influence each other. The idea is to plug in active and passive basses without having to fool around with input levels. It's basically a built in A/B box with a level control to boost the passive channel to the level of an active bass.
    The procedure is just like on any other amp: set the preamp so your bass doesn't clip - see the red clip LED - and set master volume as desired.

17. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    The first knob is actually a trim for input B. I push the A/B switch in for input B,start with the trim knob all the way up,then turn the gain up until the peak light starts to flash. If your bass has alot of output,turn the gain down until the light just flashes.If the light stays on with the gain all the way down,turn the trim down until the peak light just flashes.
    If you plug into input A,it is just like being plugged into input B with the trim turned all the way up.Input A is more for passive basses.By-the-way,they used a trim instead of a -10 db switch so you could really dial in your bass!

Hope that helps,
    John

18. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    One more thing,the pre-gain trim level can be adjusted between 0db and -20db!

19. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Coffee and ice cream? Tell me where and when! :) And the Bass Art doth rock mightily. That units next extended stay will be with yours truly. Excited? Yes I am! :hyper:

20. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Me too.. I bought my Heartcore form Prock. Great stuff. I just moved to tube amps.

I've played the Soul combo and it's incredible. The price tag is as well.