Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glockenklang, EBS or Carvin

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nemesis, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis

Apr 24, 2005
    Hi folks,

I`m looking for an new amp and I wanted to know which one of those mentioned in the title suit the best for double bass (I`m an electric bassist, therefore the thread).

Thank you.

2. Glockenklang, no doubt about it.

Cheers,

Vincent

3. I have an Eden Traveler WT400 and i'm gonna sell it. I compared the Eden with a Glockenklang Soul Head at the bassshop.
    I must have a Glockenklang

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Senior Caramba,

Although two of the amps you mention are state of the art bass amplifiers, they don't come up very often in the Double Bass Amplification discussion, except for the Eden mentioned by Vunz. If you are intending to use one amplifier for both instruments then the Eden would probably be IMHO the appropriate choice based on my experience with it. EBS has the distinct advantage of using a "rail switching power supply", but I haven't seen any DB players using it, that's not to say you couldn't use it, but you would need a buffer pre amp if you are using a piezo pickup.

One of the problems that may come into play here, is that a great DB amplifier is not necessarily a great EB amplifier or vice versa. DB's seem to need very flat equalization, while EB's see need lots of color from the amp. I'm not sure that you can "kill two birds with one stone".

Ric

5. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Wow, now that's interesting! I get to see him on October 8th, since Pat Matheney's tour stops in St. Louis. However, I'm going to venture a guess that he isn't using the Glock for a DB amplifier. In the past when I've seen him play live, he puts one of those giant EV condenser microphones on the DB that's it, no amp. I'll let you know after I see him.

Ric Vice

7. If money, size,and weight are not an objection:

The Glock Bass Art head is a great choice for the upright bass. The pre-amp has an "openness" to it. My Glock Heartcore has a little more of an aggresive nature but still retains the signature transparent quality that Glocks are noted for. IMO I would choose the BassARt head over the Soul.

There is an BassArt for sale at bass gear.com

Peace :bassist:

8. Eden. I tried a CXC-110 & was aSTOUNDed. My Radio Shack-buzzer piezo-equipped carved German suddenly sounded like an upright bass, as opposed to a bad experiment gone yet more wrong, in bass tuning. It seems to me that for every DB & player there is an ideal rig- I have absolutely found mine. It also sounded awesome w/my Stambaugh 6(slab)& Fender Jazz 5. In view of the countless rigs DB players go through in search of 'the sound', I couldn't be happier(that I've found my ideal after a very short search), aside from the fact that I have been waiting since August 12 for this combo(see my thread entitled 'Stinkin' UPS' :mad: ).

9. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    There is also one for sale on the bass guitar side of TB. It is almost brand new, and can be had at a great price. Someone should be all over this!

Jim