1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Glockenklang Heart Rock 1 with Glock 610 Cab in Mix

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevin Brosiud, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Kevin Brosiud

Kevin Brosiud

Jan 15, 2019
    Hey Folks,

i am thinking about buying an Glock HR 1 with the 610 Glock Cab - Price is good and not the point here but:

Will the Glock Amp be able to Cut through the Mix nicely against 2 Tube Amps?
    I play a Stingray (Special and Classic)

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Which tube amps?
    What type of music?
    What size venues?
    FOH support?

3. Kevin Brosiud

Kevin Brosiud

Jan 15, 2019
    Amps:Vox AC15 and AC30
    Genre:Alternative Rock / Melodic with a psychedelic touch
    Venues: undefined but more smaler.
    FOH: No

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    What's your current rig?

5. Kevin Brosiud

Kevin Brosiud

Jan 15, 2019
    i play a Markbass LM3 with a Harley Benton 410 TB Cabinet and a Laney RB 410 at 500 W.
    i love to play Amps mostly flat without Eqing too much.The Markbass does cut through even without dailing in mids or without cutting Lows - But not that much - and while cutting through it does not bring the tone with it i wanted and it sounds a bit thin and powerless against those tube guitar amps.

i tryed out the Glock HR but not in the whole mix just with a drum computer, EQ off.
    Its sounds really great alone - better than the LM3. the tone has more body and more punch Its very clear and defined but it adds specially in the lower notes a huge amount of warmth to it.
    im afraid that the lower notes will go under under that circumstances. - Even if thats the case - i can easily dial out the lows a bit and the problem should be solved. Outputwise its not a problem the 500w Markbass does his job good and the HR got 1000W with the 610 Glock Cab im sure i even have to cut the dbs a bit for not being too loud.

I really love to hear the bass defined in the mix not just a "wmmmmwmmm" i really want to hear the defined Tone of the open E oder a low F on the E String in the Mix. I usually play fingerstyle

tbh im not afraid that the Glock will not do his job well but due to the amoutn of warmth that the amp delivers i thought it could be topic.As i said the tone with drums is awesome and while its a very warm tone on the low strings its very thight tho i just not want to sound muddy on the low strings.

6. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Do you have an HPF? It keeps the low end clean. See my HPF mega thread for more info.

Here's a good thread on the HR: Aguilar DB750 vs Glockenklang Heart-Rock

In general, I suggest using the amp's eq to get the tone you want. IMO, there's no benefit in running an amp flat all the time since your tone is impacted by the venue and your guitar player's tone/volume.

If you add a hpf and utilize the eq. on your current rig, or even pickup a 10 band eq, you may save some cash.

Just sayin'.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  7. Kevin Brosiud

Kevin Brosiud

Jan 15, 2019
    Hm.. - it would be more important to know if the Low End which the Glock delivers needs to be adjustet to cut through.. The Mids and Treble section is so heavy, there will be no problems.

In the worst case - i will dailing out the Lows on the eq section and the problem should be solved. The low end then will transform from big fat an warm (while defined) into a kind of thinner deep tight bäm-like tone which i prefer.

10cc and Stumbo like this.
  8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    An HPF does exactly what you want and more precisely than an amp's tone control.

9. Kevin Brosiud

Kevin Brosiud

Jan 15, 2019
    okay..
    But normally an Amp in this price range should deliver you all you need without adding filters or else
    I hope you understand what i mean.
    I guess i will give this Glock a try - If the Amp with EQ off does not cut through in the "deep sounding area" i will cut the low end a bit to bring a bit more definition to it. But tbh the lowend so so massive i cant imagine that this "area" will not came through in the mix...

10. That rig should be able to keep up with just about anything that wouldn't need a PA to support it and cut through to boot. From what I have heard the EQ should be pretty substantial as far as tone shaping. I say if its a good deal, it's a no-brainer.

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Glockenklang is an excellent amp.
    Cut depends on settings and environment.

Helge_Glock and Kevin Brosiud like this.
  12. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Killer amp, more than I need most of the time but I’m always impressed when I use it.

Helge_Glock likes this.
  13. Kevin Brosiud

Kevin Brosiud

Jan 15, 2019
    And how is your experience with cutting through the mix with this Amp, if iam allowed to ask?

And second question:
    How is your experience with cutting through the Mix with this amp while everything in EQ is Set flat?

14. Kevin Brosiud

Kevin Brosiud

Jan 15, 2019
    Means it gut through very well i guess?

I tend to use it completely Flat with EQ offf

15. You may have to utilize the mid and/or high mid controls a little depending on environment, but from what I remember those were some pretty clear and powerful sounding amps. and that 6x10 while not widely reviewed is a formidable contender as well.

16. Kevin Brosiud

Kevin Brosiud

Jan 15, 2019
    Sounds great i hope getting a well defined tone without using the EQ that much - playing a Stingray Special and Classic both with steels so i guess the mids are in combination with the amp and cab already present enough to cut through...

17. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think an expectation of not touching any eq and very audibly cutting through the mix consistently is unrealistic. That's what eq is for! You'll need to adjust to the rooms you play in to be heard, particularly if there is no FOH support.

Kevin Brosiud and knappymer like this.
  18. Kevin Brosiud

Kevin Brosiud

Jan 15, 2019
    But, sorry for that nooby Question, isnt it the fact that when i am EQing too much - Lets say cutting lows, the Balance of the string output isnt even anymore?

Means Eqing the Amp brings an imbalanced output from the strings? Or at least a lower output in (that case) lowend?

I really hate it when the strings do not deliver all the same output and loudness

I hope i dont blame me with that.

19. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Eq should not affect string output like you're thinking, no. And don't worry about sounding noobish. TB is extremely friendly and informative. And even the very experienced and knowledgeable, like Stumbo (listen to what he says and has posted about HPF if you want to be heard clearly!) was a noob once. Good news is, TB speeds up the learning curve for you.

Stingray and Glock = great equipment . Definitely learn how to maximize their awesomeness.

20. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Kevin :)

Don' t be afraid of the eq! I won 't bite you! :D Use it!!!!

With your Glock you will not only cut the mix in two.

You will punch the two halfs against the wall! :laugh: (be careful with the volume!)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Helge_Glock, Dean N and Kevin Brosiud like this.