1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glockenklang Heart-Rock II - Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzy grille, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Howdy guys,

Been gigging with this head now for a bit, I have used it in loud venues and not-so-loud bars. Took it out for a good run this weekend to A/B it in some venues that I have been mainly using my UL902C.

I have to say that I am blown away by this head and what it can do. I can run this amp without the EQ engaged and pretty much have the sound that I want with minor tweaking from a onboard pre (Sadowsky or MTD).

I read a ton of posts on here before I purchased and it seemed that a lot of people identify Glockenklang as having a "sterile" sound. I have to disagree (some will agree)! This thing is "warm and smooth" (but, not in a tubey way), while still being incredibly articulate. It tracks every note I play with incredible articulation from top to bottom, very noticeable right out of the box. The lows are so present, thick and seismic, this thing kicks for days, it amazed me how clear the lows sounded from every other amp I have owned. The lows shake your eyes in their sockets, pretty intense. ;) The highs are smooth and have a kind of "almost compressed" sparkly openness to them. Unique, in the best way imaginable (IMHO).

There is one last thing about this amp.. It is the ONLY amp I have played that seems to actually sound better when you really kick the master up, it does not lose articulation or "sag" when the master is cranking. The power section of this amp is designed like a friggin' Panzer tank. It's the same sound when you have the master @ 8 o'clock as when it is @ 4 o'clock, just louder. It almost seems to be designed to play at loud-loud volumes, with an eye for maintaining articulation.

This is not my first rodeo with Glockenklang, I once owned a Bass Art Classic top, however, I found that I needed more volume and @ 50lbs for only 400W I had trouble justifying that monster (Bad volume/weight ratio). Which kind of leads into my only caveat for the Glockenklang Heart-Rock II, the sucker weighs 40lbs (about the same as my UL212 cab), I don't really care though. :smug:

On a side note, at times it is hard to describe the tone of this monster amp. Some of the descriptions can almost sound contradicting, somehow they managed to pull that off... :rolleyes:

jazzsoul likes this.
  2. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Pics.

Attached Files:

3. If you can try the Blue Soul sometime, IMO, at 4ohms, you will get 90%+ of the output of the HeartRock II at 1/4 the weight. Identical front end, and IMPRESSIVE power section.

Nice review. These heads have a unique voicing (I guess like every head in its own way)...warm and big and fat down low (and +1, no sag or loosening as you really push it... NICE), ridiculously clean mids, and the most extended hi fi top end anyone could wish for.

4. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    I plan on eventually grabbing a Blue Soul for the lighter gigs we run.

I am a major Glockenklang fan now.

5. Cool. Again, IME, assuming you don't need to run below 4ohms, the Blue Soul will easily drive your cabs to full performance. Amazing head. At 2.67 ohms and a huge cab array (e.g., a 4ohm 410 and 8ohm 210 or 3 x 112), the HeartRock II would be pretty crushing! It will also IMO outperform the Blue Soul at 8ohms, given the power management design of the Blue Soul Power section, nicely described in the Bass Gear Mag recent review. At 4ohms, with the typical 410 or 212 rig, you won't IMO notice any difference (in case the weight gets to be old for you). Pretty amazing!

Enjoy that head.... +1 unique voicing and thundering low end!