Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glockenklang Heart-Rock or EBS Fafner???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pink---panther, May 21, 2005.

1. pink---panther

pink---panther

May 19, 2005
    Hi everybody!

I'm going to buy a new amp and I just can't decide which one I should choose!? Either the EBS Fafner or the Glockenklang Heart-Rock!? Since I live in Germany, I don't have to be concerned about the price because they both cost about 1500€. I'm looking for an amp which is great for fingerstyle but also for slapping! I know that the Fafner is famous for its great sound - especially when slapping - and I was really blown away when I tested the amp but I also heard amazing things about the Glockenklang stuff!? I play in a rock and in a funk band and I'm looking for an amp which is great for both kinds of music!
    Is there anybody who has already played both amps and can give me some advice?

Thanks

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've owned the Fafner and played the Glock several times, though never in the same setting using the same cabs. Thus, my opinion may or may not be that of others.

What I remember about the Fafner was its powerful sound and its gritty, tube sound over an otherwise hi-fi tone. The eq section of the Fafner has gobbs of headroom, :hyper: so much so that you could drastically alter the tone you're going for by cranking a knob or two. Most other amps I've played, in comparison, never had that kind of power in the eq.

The Glock was more polite sounding. I've never heard an amp that had so much clarity and definition...so much so that it was the first time I felt like my basses' tones had a 3-D quality. :hyper: IMO, that's a good thing.

I really like 'em both, but think they do different things. IMO, depending on the tone you're after, you can't do wrong. :D

3. pink---panther

pink---panther

May 19, 2005
    Well, I wonder whether a "polite" sounding amp would be the right choice for a rock band...?! I'm looking for a warm sounding amp that can produce a hi-fi tone if required and it should deliver a great sound for slapping as well (do I expect too much of an amp? :smug:) .
    I heard a lot of bad things about the Fafner's reliability, that's why I'm not sure about spending such an amount of money on this amp!?

Well, I hope I'll be able to test these two amps soon in order to make the right decision...!

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Reliability? Mine was in the shop a lot more than I'd like to think of, and it was barely used outside of home.

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I think "polite" is the WRONG word to use for Glockenklang heads. I have a Heart-Core and, while it is extremely accurate, it is LOUD! Team it up with a good cab or two (I use and Epifani 2x12) and it is simply the best bass sound out there. I may occasionally "GAS" for something else (like an Alembic F1-x with a PLX 3402 and two Whappo's) but I won't sell the Glock - it is just TOO good to give up. AFAIK, almost everyone who has sold their head was to free up funds for the Bass Art Classic Preamp and a HUGE power amp!

BUY THE GLOCKENKLANG! :smug:

Dan K.

6. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    +1
    I've had mines in the shop twice, and it's never left my room. I hear the EBS HD350 and 650 are more reliable.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I owned a Fafner for about a year and had to send it to be repaired twice.

8. I have had a Fafner for 3 years now and there has never been a problem with it ;)

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why are you so concerned about "polite" being the wrong word to describe Glockenklang?

To my ears, the Fafner does a great job of sounding "mean" when you crank the drive control. Glockenklang excels at being accurate. They're totally different beasts, and in comparison to the Fafner, the Glock is polite. No two ways about it.

10. Don't want to jinx myself here, but I've gigged my Fafner bluestripe regularly for what's coming up on two years and haven''t had a problem. Just lucky I guess. Anyhow I do agree with Ram's summary of the Fafner... you'd be hard pressed to find an amp that is as versatile, and it is also LOUD!

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I talked to a guy that works at EBS here in Sweden and he said the Fafner was pulled from the US market due to it being to fragile. The TD650 is built much more solid according to him and can do almost the same sounds. Really great head IMO. The drive function rules.