Glockenklang Heart Rock Or Thunderfunk TFB550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by larrytron, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Glockenklang Heart Rock

7 vote(s)
  2. Thunderfunk TFB550

9 vote(s)
  1. I'm decided on these two brands. In Europe Glocks are cheaper than in the US so the price comparison will still be in favour of the TF but for $300 more I can get 250W more with the Glock.
    I actually plug my F BN5 in a GK700RB / Schroeder 1210(best thing ever made on earth!!!)setup.
    The 350W of the GK are allright but I'd like to have more power, as I play in a hard-rock band I sometimes have to really push the GK especially when giggin'...Hard to compete with a Marshall rig and a VHT pitbull Soldano halfstack...
    I know the 1210 can easily handle the affront caused by the guitar walls but the GK seems to be out of fuel.
    I read a lot of usefull things about the TFB550 and I really love the specs(looks like we can do whatever we want with this head) on the other hand I had the chance to play on a Glock Soul head and the sound was awesome.
    What do you guys think about this dilemna? I know I can't go wrong with any of these but if some of of you have had the chance to play both heads, I'd be pleased to know you opinion.
  2. If you were comparing the TF550 to the Soul head, I would say the TF without hesitation... much louder, more punch, etc. However, I've always thought... man if they could get more headroom in that Soul head, they would really have something.... and I guess that is what they did with the Heart Rock. I haven't played one, but if it sounds like the Soul with lots more headroom... that would be one mean, clean, pristine, articulate machine.

That being said... the TF550 with switch (the switch in 'off' position gets the TF closer to the Soul sound IMO), is only two rack spaces and only 15 pounds, and sounds GREAT through the Schroeder's. The Heart Rock is three rack spaces and about 2 1/2 times the weight... probably 3 times the weight when you factor in the larger rack.

So... I would still recommend the TF, all things being considered.
  3. RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I can't say I've played through either head, but both have gotten good to great reviews. I'd probably want to avoid shipping the amp around the world should it ever need servicing. Close to home is good in my book. Is there TF warranty service available in Europe?
    The obvious advice is to try to play through both, and go with the one that moves you most.
  4. If we talk about warranty service etc... I think Glock is the winner because it is German, so next to France, moreover we have some Glock dealers in France(not that much but...). I think a few Euro TB'ers have TF amps but I guess they bought it directly from Dave Funk or from another US source(used market etc...) because I don't think TF amps are distributed in Europe. If I'm wrong, please cure my ignorance.
  5. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Before you rule out the TF, contact Larry and find out what he thinks
    about service and repair needs in Europe.
    I believe he has stated that the amp is built from available parts and is easily serviceable.
    See if that's true overseas.

I could be way off here but I'd hate to see you pass on a great amp because you didn't know.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I am very enamored of my TFB550, but seeing as how I've never touched a Glock amp, I am abstaining from voting. It is taking quite a bit of willpower though.... :D
  7. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I have a 700rb and it's pretty loud, ie I don't think GK has exagerated about it's output. The 700rb is good for 380w into 4 ohms and the thunderfunk does 500w. That's only an increase of 120 watts so that's maybe 1db or so, bugger all really (3db is double the wattage). So while it's a desireable beast I don't think it's likely to fix your problem. I haven't used a 1210 (I have a 1212 on order) but I find it difficult to believe that it can stay with a marshall and a soldano half stack in a hard rock setting. When you say you know the 1210 can hang with the guitar rigs, how do you know? Have you driven it with a large power amp with your band? If not, rent/borrow one, slave it off your GK and try it! Unfortunately the GK (and TF, dunno about the glock) won't do 2 ohms. If it were me, I'd be looking at something like a schro 410. If you upgrade your GK later, something that can drive 2 ohms (or has 2 x 4ohm power amps like a WT800) would give you the flexibility to run any combination of your cabs and go as loud most people would want.
  8. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Since you already have a GK, have you thought of a 1001RB-II?
  9. I already did it with a crown macrotech 1200 in bridge mode and a Eureka presonus for preamp but the macrotech isn't mine and I don't want the Eureka to leave my home studio.
    That said I had a lot more of headroom with the 1300W of the Crown. The difference was significant! I hadn't push the amp at its max so the schroeder didn't seem to be overpowered (it wasn't a gig test for several hours, though).

If you have a 1212 on order you'll be amazed by the loudness these boxes have.

Of course the guitar stacks are not cranked up(even though I believe I still could be heard if so) but they are loud enough to compete with a relatively hard hitting drummer.
    I want the rig to be small portative and loud.
    I've found the cab that can do the trick for most of the gigs I need to do(if I ever play in a 50000people arena, there will still be wedge monitors...).

Now I want a head that can give a powerfull clean sound to drive the 1210 better than the 700RB does.
    If possible i'd also like to change brand, oddly I didn't like that much the sound of the RBII series, to answer ras1983, a bit too aggressive compare to the punchy clean sound of the 700RB, maybe GK made some changes in the preamp when uprgarding the serie but it wasn't my way (although I didn't test it with the the door is still open).
  10. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    That's good that the 1210 can get the job done for you. The 1212 will certainly exceed my expectations if it's as loud as you say. I wish it would hurry up, it's been on the boat to Oz for quite a while now!

I've never tried them but given that you're looking for portable and loud and that you're in France, have you checked out the markbass stuff? The SD800 looks interesting with 750w into 4 ohms, 2 semi parametric mids, weighs 3.4kg (!) and is probably well priced in your neck of the woods.
  11. Oh thanks, I haven't even thought about this head! I'm gonna check this out.
  12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The Heartrock is an awesome amp. It is very, very clean and has a ton of heardroom.