1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Glockenklang Heart-rock upgrade !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shiveringbass, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    For all Glock. lovers, this is a news I picked up on Glock site :

!!The 1000 Watt Experience!!

We did a technical modification and can release the Heart-Rock Head for a minimum impedance of 2,7 ohms now. That means, it can handle three 8 ohms cabs
    or one 4 ohms and one 8 ohms cab or our new 6-Box (6 x 10") with 2,7 ohms and in this case, the output-power is 1000 real watts! Heart-Rock users can get
    this modification subsequent.

1000 W of Glock. sound !
    :hyper:
    :cool:
    :bassist:

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Mine's on the way. My order has been delayed due to that change in spec. It looks like it added about 2 pounds to the spec (now listed at 41 pounds vs. the original 39 pound spec).

I'm looking forward to this head. Joel said I can expect delivery within a couple more weeks! Cool. I've always loved the sound of the Soul head, but was unimpressed with that amp's volume capability.... so I am hoping the HR is a 'loud Soul'. I know there are slight differences in the centering of the upper mid tone control between the Soul and HR, but other than that, I'm assuming (and hoping!) they sound similar.

3. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Ken, I was pretty sure to have read somewhere that you were waiting a Heart-rock...
    You should be very happy with this one !

As far as I am concern, I've used my Soul bass head for more than 3 years now and I couldn't be happier with my tone.
    Vomumewize, it feets perfectly my needs (I use it in 8 ohms) and I never have to push it to hard... but it might just be because I've never had to fill a large room without PA support.

My favorit things with Glock. is its plug and play aspect. During those 3 years, I've almost never touched the eq tone pots. This amp sounds gorgeous with all set flat.
    :)

Sheers

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Cool! I'm a huge fan of 'plug and play', and have always tried to use gear that matches my playing style and sound without having to radically EQ. I LOVE the sound of the Soul, and would think it's plenty loud for most situations. I unfortunately find myself many times in the exact situation you describe.... large rooms, loud band, no PA support, so I was looking for that wonderful sound with just a little more 'ooomph'.

I'm so pleased with my Thunderfunk at the moment, but had the hankerin' for some big metal in my arsenal.:bassist:

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Thats heavier than most of your cabs! :bag:

I'm looking forward to your review when it comes in. I've always been interested in Glock products but never had a chance to check out the heads...

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 I don't know what got into me.:eek:

7. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    The weight is one of the reason I'll keep my Soul and not move towards the Heart-rock...
    But if one day I have the pleasure to have some roadies... Heart-rock all the way !!!

8. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Althought it is not realy the good place for it, I thought you would also be happy to learn this :

"The new GLOCKENKLANG onboard bass preamps are available now!

Available as 2-band or 3-band active/passive switachable (at the volume push/pull), balance-pot without dip in center-position, treble-pot active +/- 18
    dB@18 KHz, passive as classical highcut, bass +/- 14 dB@40 Hz, mid +/- 9 dB@550 Hz, battery-connection 9 volts."

Now, Glock. clarity in your bass
    :bassist:

I've just wrote to Udo to clarify the treb frequency which seems like a typo to me...
    :confused:
    +/- 18 db at 18 khz...
    :meh:

I'll keep you informed.

Sheers

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey Ken, whatever you do don't try the bass art classic head. I loved my soul amp (except for the volume) until I went back to Chris Stambaugh's shop and played through his Heart-Core head (predecesor to the Bass Art). The Bass Line stuff is the true Glockenklang experience. Not trying to take away from the soul or the heartrock but they are very different. I still havn't head a better amp to date than the Heart-Core.

10. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Yes, the Glock onboard pre-amps are amazing. We've been working with Udo at Glockenklang for the past nine months or so on the development of a very musical and transparent pre-amp. We worked really hard to nail the frequency centers and widths and the end result is pretty magical. Our's is completely custom circuit designed exclusively for us but the stock version that you've mentioned is a great sounding pre.

You can read more about ours in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224772&highlight=gs5

11. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Kjung - you won't be disappointed! The Heart-Rock sounds great no matter how you EQ it, or with the EQ completely (and truly I might add) bypassed. I actually just got a Double last week to play with mine. The cab made the head sound even that much sweeter! Even with the one cab running at 400 watts into 8 ohms it's plenty loud for most situations, and I've got the flexibility to add another cab.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Thanks for the post! I'm excited about the amp.

Ken

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I had the pleasure of playing out of a Heart Core Dan Lenard's house through the 115+Tweet Glock cab. You are correct.... man did it sound good! Seemed built more for studio work (very large and relatively low power). I actually like the slightly more warm voicing of the Soul (and I assume Heartrock) for live gigging situations, but I hear what you are saying. I've found that amps voiced as clean and transparant as the Bass Art (and I assume the newer Heart Core) need A LOT of power to muscle that sound through a live mix.

14. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    +1 on that, as I've already said it, I usualy set my Soul head with the eq bipassed and it has worked for every room I've played in.
    I just eq a bit to addd some clarity on highs and trebs when I'm recording directly from the DI...
    Have I told you that this DI out was realy great... no added noise or anything... as quiet as ystudio gear !

Sheers

15. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France