Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glockenklang Heart-Rock vs. Aguilar DB 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovastic, Sep 25, 2005.

1. groovastic

groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    Hi!

As I said in another thread, I need an amp that'd be apropriate for muisc from Funk to Soul and Reggae, and yet I'd like the amp that would bring out the natural sound of my bass and my fingers thoroughly, with all the percussivenes and without much coloration. I narrowed my choices to
    Glockenklang Heart-Rock and Aguilar DB 750.

Which one should I go for?

Thanks for your help

P.S. Weight difference isn't important

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Up to the comma after reggae, I was thinking the DB750. Its a huge sounding amp that would fit right in in that style of music.

But it isnt really transparent, thats certainly the Glock's thing though.

Have you tried both out? The Aggie shares this thing with Ashdown of being somewhat transparent but still coloured, seems like its what you want most, ideal funk sound OR natural bass sound.

3. groovastic

groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    I've never heared an Aggie, nor Heart-Rock. I've only heared Glock Soulhead. It's hard to find those amps in my country.
    So do you think that Aggie is more transparent than Glock is warm and punchy?

4. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    The Glockenklang is far more transparent than the Aguilar. If you want to hear just the sound of your bass and fingers, the Glock is the way to go. I haven't played the DB750, but I used to have a 659 pre and the tone was not as clear - dark and merky IMO.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    That about sums it up, but I would add 'HHUUGGEE' to the list of adjectives for the Aggie. :D

6. +1... I've tried the Ag and also the Soul head, which has the same pre as the 750. Both wonderful, and different in the way the above posts describe.... assuming the Heart Rock is a Soul with more power, I'd be all over that vs. the Aggie in a minute... but as always, with gear this good, it's just personal taste.

Just a thought.... why have you limited your choice to two of the largest (3 rack space) and heaviest (especially that AG) heads out there? Have you checked out some of the other great sounding heads like the TF, the Eden800(b), the Epifani 502 or 900, the iAmp800. Lot's of 15-20 pound two rack space options out there that are amazing.

7. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Yeah if you are playin soul/reggae I'd imagine you don't need a temendous amount of power (although I could be wrong). You could get the Soul top and save yourself about $600.