Glockenklang Heart-rock vs. EBS td-650

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbrother, Mar 17, 2006.

1. bassbrother

May 9, 2005
    My eden wt-800 has let me down twice last weekend...:( :bawl: ..., so I'm looking for a new, more "hi-fi" amp. I read that both Glockenklang and the EBS are quite honest and clear amps. Anyone has experience with these amps??
  2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I've tried the EBS before. It sounds great, but I think its pretty underpowered at 4 ohms. It only puts out 650 watts at 2 ohms and I believe 450 at 4 ohms...
  3. I love the 800... is it breaking down? Eden's service is pretty good. I would consider sticking with it.

That being said, IMO the EBS650 (which I've owned) isn't in the same league volume wise, although it does sound good. It puts our 440 watts into 4ohms and doesn't deliver its full power unless driven into a 2ohm load. It's not heavy, but a transistor amp that takes up three rack spaces should knock a wall down. I found the HD350 to be just as loud (350 watts into 4ohms), very similar sounding, and smaller, lighter and cheaper.

I have a Glock Heart Rock on order from the Groove Shoppe. It should ship next week. My hope is that the Glock will have the wonderful clarity of the EBS heads and MUCH more volume and punch. I was impressed with the tone of the Soul head, but found its power rating rather overstated (by that, I mean that the 350 watt HD350 was significantly louder to my ear than the 400 watt Soul). However, I LOVED the tone, and the Heart Rock is marketed as a 'loud Soul'... we shall see!

If you are still considering the Glock in a couple weeks, feel free to PM me if you want my impressions of it.

4. Hey... great minds think alike:D We must have been typing at the same time!
  5. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    lol...i'm always agreeing with you! you'll have to let me know what you think of the glock when it comes in...i've never heard one.
  6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I have not played through a Heart-Rock but have the old Heart-Core and have played the EBS. I much prefer the Glockenklang sound - seems clearer and less harsh to me. Volume-wise, you should be able to play stupid-loud with efficient cabs with either one.

My call would be the Glock.

Dan k.
  7. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I haven't played the EBS, but I own a Heart-Rock and I can tell you quite honestly it is the best sounding amp I have ever played through! Clear as a bell. All 5 bands of EQ are sweet and musical. Plenty of power (in fact it sounds louder than most other 750 watt amps to my ears). The main difference between the Soul and the Heart-Rock is the mid on the Soul is 750 hz while on the Heart-Rock it is 550 hz. Other than that, obviously you get more headroom and faster transient response. Glock is quite honestly probably one of the best bass amps in the world. They're not cheap... but they're worth it!
  8. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    OK, everything has been said already...
    EBS TD 650 only put 440 W at 4 ohms, Heart rock 750 W... and from all I've heard and read, it is some realy loud 750 W.
    I actualy play on a Glock Soul head and wouldn't play on something else. Clean warm, precise, open...

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I vote Glock as well.

I like the EBS heads well enough, but I really dig the way the Glock heads sound. To my ears, the treble response on the Glock is more transparent, and makes the treble response on the EBS sound harsh.

I can't comment on power comparisons, just tone and EQ ability. If you can afford it, I say go Glock!

Hopefully I'll pick up one of those some day soon!