Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glockenklang Heart-Soul or Epifani UL-502?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdwinva, Nov 27, 2005.

1. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    OK - I can afford ONE really nice amp. I play rock and funk and own a Lakland Classic 5 string. I've played the Epifani and it sounds amazing! The Glockenklang is supposed to be a Soul Head on steriods. Any opinions if you could only own one amp?

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Glockenklang all the way!!!

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang! Glockenklang!

Can you tell I like my Glock?

Dan K.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    definitely a heart rock... Yup for Glockenklang!!!!!!

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Has anyone heard both brands' amps?

6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I've only heard epi's amps at last years NAMM. I thought they were terrific. It seems like they are quite a hit, and I've talked to some pros who were very impressed with them

I've heard Glockenklang heads on different occasions in different situations, although, only the bass art head, or the bass art pre/bugatti poweramp.

If the heartrock is anywhere near as quick and beautiful sounding as the bass art head, its gotta be fantastic.

So to answer your question, not really :D

Actually Jdwinva, what cabs are you using with this rig? That would probably be good to know

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    There's also the issue of how much you're willing to carry around. The Glock weighs in at almost 40lbs and is a 3 rack space unit while the Epi is just over 15lbs which could be carried in a nice padded shoulder bag. Decisions...decisions!
    I had the chance to play through the Epi for a good while this weekend and were it not for the fact that I already own an Iamp800 the Epi 502 would be my choice for an amplifier. Killer tone, really powerful and nice and portable.
    Just my thoughts!

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Great point! If you are comparing to the Soul, which I believe is a more apples to apples comparison it's a different story. Sonically, the Soul is close to the heart rock without the extra power. It is also about the same size. For a more direct comparison and also about the same in price I would look at the UL-902.

I really like glock amps... Try it with one of their cabs and you'll be truly amazed. I personally would lean toward the Epifani... there is no bad choice. I've tried both and just think the Epifani sounds better with more different cabs than the Glock...

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seriously,

the Epi is a joy to carry around, and sounds like hifi strawberries and creme. :cool:

10. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    I'm using two cabinets:

1) Bergantino HT-322 (112, 210, + horn)
    2) Two Aguilar GS-112's

- jdwinva

11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I bet the glock with your bergie would sound heavenly!!

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to run a Glockenklang Soul with my Berg 112 mini stack. Incredible sound. My only complaint with the Soul was it didn't have enough juice. The Heart-Rock should take care of that. Glockenklang and Bergs go together beautifully.

13. +1

14. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I recently switched from Glockenklang Soul to Epi502UL, also because the Soul didn't have enough juice. The HeartRock is indeed less transportable than the Epi, but both amps are really outstanding. The sound of the Epi502 with my 210UL en 112UL cabs convinced me, but only just.

Steven

15. There are so many posts about former Soul owners who have reluctantly dumped the amp because of lack of power. The Heartrock fixes that, but is just too big and heavy IMO. It seems that if Glock came out with a 600 watt or so two space version of the Soul, they would sell a ton of them. I know I've posted this idea before, but I really like the sound of the Glock's I've played out of and would love a high powered relatively light two space version!

16. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I'm a Glock guy as Emjazz well knows. I'm also a small guy. I play the Bass Art which is very heavy but I so love the sound that the weight is not a factor for me. The tone is. I quite like the Epifani head but the Glock EQ seems a bit more musical to me. I know that "musical" is a nebulous term but the Glock has what I love in spades. Indeedy. :)