1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Glockenklang Soul vs Hughes&Kettner Quantum 600 vs Gallien-Kruger 800RB vs EBS Fafner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Apr 28, 2006.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi!

I need an amp for Funk, Soul and R&B and maybe some Reggae and Latin. It should have a nice deep growl and enough punch. It will probably be played through a Epifani UL115 and some 2x10" box.

These are amps that come to my mind:

Glockenklang Soul
    Hughes&Kettner Quantum 600
    Gallien-Kruger 800RB
    EBS Fafner or TD650

what do you suggest?

Thanks a lot, because I don't have a chance to hear them all

2. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I only have experience with the Glock, but I can tell you it is a punchy head and it is very refined, pure, and clear sounding. The EQ is very flexible and simply; you would have no trouble dialing in any of those sounds. Small turns on the EQ nobs make significant changes so you have a lot of room for playing around with tone.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played the Fafner (owned it for about 1-1/2 years) and played through a Soul several occasions.

To me, there is an overlap, to some extent, as their both hi-fi and modern sounding. However, that's about where the difference ends.

Glock's amps are more about clarity and accuracy, and do so about as well as anyone can hope for. So much so, that it makes clean and accurate sound musical!

The flipside is the Fafner, which has tons and tons of headroom in the eq. IMO, it's an amp that excels at the gritty, though. It's not going to get horribly nasty, but will add that tube-like warmth to your tone over and above what the Glock can do. In terms of cleanliness, though, I don't think it does it as well or musically as the Glock.

At the end of the day, it depends on the tone you're looking for. If you want a musical cleanliness and sharpness, the Glock will add a dimension to your tone that you won't find most other places. However, if you want a grittier tone that fits in well with the rock or jazz type of crowd, that might be a better way to go.

4. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am going to vote for GK.
    But go for the 1001 RB II. Very similar sound, much more power. Awesome head and lot-o-value for the price.

danman

5. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    I've only got experience with EBS and Glockenklang rig and my personnal choice goes for Glockenklang :
    eincredibly clean even with lot of eqing but still realy warm
    very flexible eq and amp in general
    german built quality, nearly indestructilble !
    :)

Of course, EBS alos has some arguments but I found that sound a bit too scooped and glassy.
    Then, it's up to your ears
    ;)

Sheers

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I have to disagree on the recommendation for the GK. It is a nice enough head, but the comparison between it and a Glockenklang is like comparing a Bently (Glock) to a Camry (GK). Both get you to your destination, but one gives you a much better ride - and it ain't the Camry!

The Glock is a lot more refined - it can do the loud thing, but never gives you a feeling that you are pushing it too much until you really are! The GK is always much more harsh and gritty, and not in a musical way.

Dan K.

7. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I own a 800RB, and have never played thru any of the other heads you mention. I use the 800RB biamped with a 1-15 JBL Home made cab, and a 2-10 Hartke. It sounds great. I would recommend this head to anybody. My electronics tech also approves of the way the 800RB is built.

It is pobable that there is better out there, as I recently purchased better (opinion) sounding speakers, Eden 210XLT and SWR 4-10. They are more Hi-fi (cabs), but I still seriously enjoy my 115 jbl and 210 hartke with the 800RB, but then again, I play 70's and modern rock.

8. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Since I tried a Fafner only with a crappy handmade bass, I can't say much about the sound. So, regarding the styles I mentioned, would you go with EBS or Glock?

And anybody tried a H&K Quantum?

Thanks for all your inputs!

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It seems from the type of music you mentioned, either the Glock Soul or the EBSTD650 would work great. I'm in the US, and the Fafner is not sold here any more. From what I understand, the Fafner is very similar to the TD650 (power, etc.) with the tube always in the circuit... versus the TD650's ability to switch the tube (and also a tube emulation) circuit in and out. This allows the 650 to get very, very clean and 'hi fi' like the Glock, but also allows you to dial in some tube warmth and even overdrive.

I greatly prefer the Glock. The Soul and 650 put out virtually identical wattage into the typical 4ohm load. The 650 is much larger (3 rack spaces) and heavier, and has less control in the all important mids (one semiparametric on the 650 vs. two very nicely voiced mid controls and a more 'neutral' mid voicing when set flat for the Glock).

Both are great... the Fafner, from what I understand, and from other posters comments above and on other threads, seems to be more 'rock' voiced.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Two comments

1. Listen with YOUR ears

2. Made in Europe is very expensive due to high labor costs. If you're on this side of the ocean, prices are comparable to other imported products. If you're in North America, there are all kinds of products that'll give you great low end slam,

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's a really tough call. As I mentioned before, I had a Fafner for a while and liked it (although mine clearly had some reliability issues). I probably would have kept it if it were reliable. That said, the reliability issues I had were supposedly resolved on newer models and I've heard little (albeit still some) about reliability on the new TD650. I've NEVER heard anything about the reliability of the Glock.

All told, I personally think it's more about personal preference than anything else. Either can do what the other does. For the types of music you listed that you prefer, I can't see where the benefit of tube warmth is going to add value, but could see how a Glock's unbelievable musicality (if that's a word) might benefit you somewhat....I could also argue the other way, though.

If it were up to me, I'd go with a Glock, but my tastes have changed somewhat over the years...

Either way, I doubt you'll be disappointed, but you'll always wonder if you made the right choice.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Again, I vote Glockenklang for no discernable reason.