1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Glockenklang vs Thunderfunk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Glock SoulHead

51.2%
  2. TF 420

48.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I've made a similar thread the other day, and it seems that Glock Soul came out as a winner!
    Now I'd like you to compare it to Thunderfunk! I've never heared TF since I live in Europe, but I've read only good stuff about it!
    So, as I said, I need an amp for Funk, Soul and R&B and maybe some Reggae and Latin. It should have a nice deep growl and enough punch. It will probably be played through a Epifani UL115 and some 2x10" box.

2. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    oh, sorry. i saw the title of the thread and thought you were promoting wrestling match.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never played either head, in fact, I haven't ever knowingly heard them either. So I voted for Glockenklang.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:D Glockenklang is definitely more fun to say than Thunderfunk. I own both.. both great in their own way.

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I don't know, Thunderfunk is a pretty cool word too...I mean come on, say somebody asks, "hey man, what kind of amp you playing through?"

First guy says "I'm playing a Glockenklang" and the response is :eyebrow: "I thought you played the bass not a xylophone."

Second guy says "I'm bring the Thunderfunk" and the response is "ooooh that name just sounds awesome!"

:bag:

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I've played both but just briefly, but I don't have a preference, so I'm not gonna vote...the TF was through an Accugrove and the Glock was through a Glock. I played my Ritter through the TF and an FBB fretless through the Glock. Both sounded great to me. No help I know!

Marshall

7. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I think I already posted opinions in the other thread about this, but I'm definitely a Glock man. Best stuff I've heard and will probably never go back to anything else. Pure, clear, refined, musical, just plain wonderful.

8. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY
    I don't know about either one, but thunderfunk sounds like something I've done........:eek:

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

OK.... I'll try to be a little more helpful than my earlier post.

First, not sure why you are comparing the older, lower powered model of TF versus the newer 500 or 550 watt models.

TF550... significantly louder than the Soul (even the 400 watt 'original' version). The TF is really loud for its published wattage. The inherent sound of the amp (even with the switch in SS mode) is warmer and a little more gritty/grindy and mid punchy. The tone controls are probably the most powerful of any amp on the market IMO... four full bands of semi parametric EQ, an 'Eden stype' enhance control, a Timbre control similar to but more powerful than the WW balance control, and bass and treble shelving controls.... you can massively change the voicing and sound of the amp. It's also one of the lightest high power 'non class D/non switching' amps out there... depending on the model, between 15 and 17pounds.

Soul.... based on my limited experience with the Soul, and my new experience with the Heart Rock... again, very nice... a little more 'solid state clean and crisp'... the Soul strikes me as a 'soft' 400 watts compared to the TF, which sounds very loud and full for its size and wattage.. this may be more due to the voicing of the amp. The Soul's tone controls are very nice and powerful, but not in the same league as the TF's IMO. The Glock is as crisp sounding as any amp out there... and again, I compare it to a 'better' EBS sound IMO... with the Soul being somewhat similar to the HD350. The Glock pre voicing and sound goes 'higher and lower' than the Thunderfunk (the highest treble control is set at 12K!), which again, probably results in its apparant lack of power versus the TF, which is more 'mid present'.

I also did not vote... I love both of these amps for what they are.

For some context, I previously owned the EBS350 and 650. I really liked those amps, but each had some negatives that actually started to bug me on the gig. The Glock seems to get me very close to that EBS tone (very crisp, clean, quick and modern), but also has more control over the all important mids, etc. The Heart Rock simply crushes the TD650 in virtually every way IMO. I have not directly compared the Soul to the EBSHD350, but would assume the Soul would similarly come out on top.

tabooze24 likes this.
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If I voted, (I didn't), I'd vote for the Glock.
    In 40mag, it holds 17 rounds...

(never played a glock, looove my TFB)

11. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Just like in the privious thread, my vote goes to Glockenklang Soul bass head.
    Althought I've never played a TF, what I've heard of it on Bass tasters is not appealing to me. TF has something more "vintage" to my ears, something quite "tube midrangy" that some may realy like but it is not my taste.

My Glockenklang is all about musicality in a very modern way, realy transparent...

And Ken, once again, the power rating is quite accurate for me and althought I only use my Soul into 8 ohms (280 W) I've never run out off juce during the past three years.
    ;)

But your opinion just might be because you've never heard that head in a live setting. It cuts through the mix extremely well and that what's matter to me.
    :)

Sheers

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Again, just two very different sounds, both great. I think it's not so much that the Soul is 'underpowered' versus the TF being so loud and punchy for its size, weight, and power rating.

PS... on a slightly different topic.... I had the pleasure of doing another pretty good A/B between the TF and the EdenWT550 through an Eden210XLT with an Eden15 on the bottom. When we really pushed the amps, I was surprised that to my ear, the TF just crushed the Eden in clean, low mid punch played close to the bridge (Ryan from LDS was the 'test mule'!). The TF provided that low mid 'punch to the chest' thing much, much better than the WT550 (which is also a wonderful amp).

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Do you want warmth, clarity, and thunder? Buy the TF and you'll never look back.

14. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Do you want warm, clarity and punch ? Buy the Glock. and you'll never look back !
    ;)

Sheers

15. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Based on what I read, how can you go wrong with either? :bassist:

16. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Thats exactly how I would describe my Thunderfunk...interesting...