Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glockenlang Cabs!!!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seaKamp, Feb 18, 2006.

1. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    A few months ago I saw the Steve Kimock Band perform in Chicago. I was absolutly blown away by everyone in the band that was on the stage. The bassist, Reed Mathis, was absolutly phenominal and just complimented everyone perfectly. Ontop of amazing playing he had perfect tone to compliment everyone as well.

After seeing that show I've just been a bit infatuated with Reed's sound and the style of SKB in general. Anyway... I haven't been looking too much into Glockenlang amplification because I'm pretty happy with the rig I have going right now but I'm never opposed to switching around my cabs. MY cabs hav switched like so: Ampeg > SWR > Sunn(which I will always keep) > AccuGroove > Schroeder

I've loved going through all of the gear that I have. The cabs do have their own personalities and sound. Mixing and matching brands can be fun and bring out the bright spots of each cab.

What I'm looking into now is trying out either Bergantino cabs or Glockenlang cabs. If I were to go Bergantino I'd either try and find a HT322 or a HT115 and a HT210. If I were to go Glockenlang I would consider the Glockenklang Quattro USA Model(4x10) or the Duo USA Model(2x10) and the Uno(1x15).

I was wondering if anyone has tried out any of these cabs and what your thoughts were on them as stand alons and as paired cabs. Also, would anyone know the difference between the USA Glocks and the German Glocks, other then the obvious country of origin. Thanks!

2. jazzbass64

jazzbass64

Jan 8, 2006
    First, I think a US model cab is about the same as a german made.But US made don' t have all the options at that time.
    For german glock cabs, you can choose between normal cabs (lacquered) and light versions (with carpet finish).US made are only "lacquered".
    Carpet are lighter, a bit bigger, and cost a bit more (sound the same).

Secondly, there is 2 line in the glockenklang products : "bassware line" and "bass line".This concern amplifiers and cabs.
    The "bass line" is the top of the line.Pure glockenklang concept, these amps and cabs are simply different compared to other brand products (swr, ampeg, ebs, aguilar,etc...).
    "bass line" cabs are only german made.Bass art cabs, tedd and heartcore cab (no longer produced), acoustic art are "bass line" products.The tweeters, conception are unique.
    Heartcore amp (no longer produced), bass art amp, bugatti are "bass line" products.Class A (Opamp) preamp, bugatti bipolar amplifiers are unique in the industrie.
    The "bassware line" products are great (high end) but not as different when compared to other brand name company.Prices are lower too.
    Quattro, Duo, Uno, etc... are bassware line cabs.Soul, heart-rock are bassware line amps.

Go to www.glockenklang.de you will see.

Finally,
    for cabs, I have had Heartcore, and still have Tedd and acoustic art.For amplifiers I have had a heartcore and still have a bass art (with "kabeltreiber").
    Sounds are superb.Different, accurate clear and warm, mature bass sound, "noble" sound is what came to my ear.

My acoustic art is for sale (great especially for double bass).
    I will probably sell my bass art and Tedd cab...:crying:

I am more in combo amplifier (swr baby blue).I generally let the incredible glockenklang at home, too much to carry...

3. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Sorry to correct you Jazzbass but US made Glock are not lackered but carpeted only.
    Secondly the speakers in German cabs and US cabs are not from the same builder too.
    German's one are made by Volt and US are made by Eminence.

To come back to the question asked, I'm the happy owner of a German Quatro cabs for 3 years now.
    This cab is simply amazing as a stand alone cab. Big defined lows, clear highs and fantastic mid presence.
    When I bought it with my Soul bass head, I choose a *8 ohms version, thinking that I could add another cab one day, but now I just realise that I should have take the 4 ohms version to take profit of the full 440 W of my head since I will never need another cab.

If you have some more questions, feel free to ask them.

Sheers

Shiveringbass

4. jazzbass64

jazzbass64

Jan 8, 2006
    Sorry for the lacquered only it' s carpeted only, on the photos US version look lacquered...Bass line cabs from german and US are closed (not exactly the same though).Same conception and I don' t think german is better in quality, about the same.

But I mean it' s important to consider the two line of glockenklang products :
    "bass line" top of line closed to the pure glockenklang concept.
    "bass ware line" are surely excellent but more common products.
    At the beginning there was the bugatti preamp (pure class a) and amplifier.To my opinion this is the pure glockenklang sound; these have been made without price and market consideration.
    Then the bass line products : the bass art amplifier (and preamp), heart-core, acoustic art, bass art cab and tedd have been created.For exemple the bass art (first version) consist of a bugatti preamp without class a middle eq.All the rest is bugatti, the power amp in it is a bugatti mono.
    Then bass line products : no more class a preamp, no "dome" tweater, mosfet power amp,... Probably excellent products to fight with EBS, SWR, EDEN in terms of quality/price, but not as special as bass line products.

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Just for clarity on the bassware/bassline point. The Mosfet gear like the Heart-Rock and Soul are designed to offer a slight sonic variation to the Glock sound - not to be cheaper alternatives per se. Their overall voices are a bit warmer and thicker unlike the BAC or Bugatti which are all about pure sonic accuracy. The Heart-Rock, much like the Aguilar DB750, is all about big, thick supportive tone. It still has that Glockenklang bell-like clarity but it has more girth out of the box than something like the BAC does.

If you want to hear your bass exactly as it sounds absolutely get a BAC or Bugatti. Those have the clarity and precision of the finest studio gear available. If you're looking to rule every high volume Rock and R&B gig that you come across, I would seriously consider checking out the Heart-Rock.

I hope that helps.

6. jazzbass64

jazzbass64

Jan 8, 2006
    Ok.

But my bass art head is extremely usefull at high volume.;)
    Not an enormous wattage but sound is so clean at high volume...the sound nether became a problem due to the clarity itself.I bypass the EQ and all notes rings perfectly.This is especially true at high volume with a big group.The sound really cut with growl and nether became boomy.I feel it is possible to play every style of music with my rig.

If you want an amplifier system for with a big signature, well perhaps the soul or the heart-core...Or perhaps an Ampeg ? There is a lot of solutions.It depends on the voice sound you have in your ears.
    If you want the glockenklang sound.I think Bass art, Bugatti (well bass line) is the way to go.

I think it' s difficult to get the "Glockenklang bell-like clarity" with an amplifier that have mosfet poweramp, Class AB preamp, etc... .And then to say, well all these electronic components take the bell sound of glockenklang previous products (with class A opamp preamp, bipolar poweramp) + the warmth of the 70's...No, really it sound strange to me.

7. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I don't think we are disagreeing - just possibly articulating it differently.

I'm playing through a BAC pre-amp currenlty and I'm completely elated with it. My point is just that the Heart-Rock shouldn't be dismissed as an inferior or crippled product because it absolutely is not. It's just designed to appeal to a wider/different audience. Again, it's designed to appeal to a player who might be considering something like a DB750 or other comparable, thickly voiced rock/R&B rig.

Please don't misunderstand - I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of the BAC and Bugatti. I used the BAC pre-amp on a gig this weekend and it absolutely kills. It is on par with my Millennia gear and is not only incrediby accurate but very flexible at the same time.

My next move is the Bugatti power amp for my rig. It will be a nice alternative to my all tube rig.

Anyway, back to the question at hand... the cabinets.

8. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    + 1 000 with that Joel.
    Even if Soul and Heart-rock are not as clear as top of the line Glockenklang products, I still find them far more clear and natural sounding than other products like SWR, Eden or EBS.
    And for me, it also applies to Glockenklang cabs.
    :)

Sheers

9. I had the pleasure of briefly playing out of a Glock 112 with tweeter at Tom's bass hang this weekend. I was VERY impressed... one of the best 12's I've ever played out of... full, low, mid punch, sweet treble... man... just good!

10. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Great Ken, coming from you who have played them all it tells a lot about the quality of those cabs !
    ;)
    You should one day, if you have the opportunity, try a Quatro 4x10"... amazing cab !

Sheers

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 That Space Deluxe is very impressive, as is the Duo 2x10. I would say that in general, Bergantino and Glockenklang cabs are basically equivalent, just different, and both are top of the heap.

12. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Just to clarify, the US model cabs use the same Volt drivers as the German models in the 12 and 15 equipped cabs. The only difference between them and the Germans is the carpet covering. The 10's are Eminence.

JC

13. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Anyway, it seems that the original poster is not realy interested in our help...
    ;)

14. Just one word of warning to the thread originator.... if you heard that band in a relatively large room with PA support, the backline bass amp might have had virtually zero impact on the sound you were hearing out in the room. The Glock cabs are wonderful, but that's not necessarily what you were hearing!:)

15. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    As one of the guys who got you the dealership, you are correct there. Volt in the US 115, 212,112 except the Emmies for the Quattro and Duo cabs using 10s. The US made 210 and 410 sound a bit better than their german counterparts. I still play a German made 210.

16. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Hey guys. Thanks for all of the info. I took the plunge on the Bergie cabs... HT322 and HT115. I figured I couldn't pass up the great deal. I can pair them up or use the HT322 as a standalone. If I would have went for the Glockenlang I would have only had 1 cab(a great cab at that).

I was pretty much in the front row when I saw SKB. There was NO PA support @ my location(unfortunately for me I couldn't even hear Robert Walter very well on the keys for the first few tunes(had to move about 10 feet to my left to hear his amp... or back up about 10 feet to get PA). I heard the Glock rig the whole show. Reed played a Fender J and a Modulus Q5(2 basses I own myself). The sound was heavenly. He does a great job supporting in the band that setting.

I do appreciate the time everyone put into this thread. Of course if I had the cash I would have gotten the US Quattro and the Bergie cabs but when I can get 2 cabs for the price of 1 and they are of equal caliber... I'd probably be stupid not to go with the great deal and flexibility of 2 cabs over 1 great Glockenlang.

17. I am a big fan of Glock and have had the oppty to try a few of the German cabs over the years. They are light responsive cabinets and from what I hear the US production models live up to their German counterparts.

I still own my Tedd cabinet and it still holds its own against the top cabs that are being produced today. Coupled with my HeartCore amp it makes a formidable bass rig.

I am glad to see that Glockenklang is finally getting the recognition it deserves from the bass community.

18. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Indeed!:hyper:

19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I don't think that it's been a case of recognition as much as a lack of availability in the U.S..