Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

glockenlang

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Jul 6, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    any one here use these cabs? how do you like them? how much? worth the price?

2. BP had a High End Corner with them, if I find the BP then I'll copy it for you, they are supposed to be really high end (bass builders use them as reference), but expensive, as in, over $2,000.

3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I had the chance to demo the Soul head running through the Quattro 4x10 at Music Unlimited in Monterey. I think it was the punchiest righ I've ever played through. Crystal clear spank. Although a music store isn't the best place to tryout a bass rig, it seemed to have plenty of bottom, and seemed to be able to really put out some spl's when pushed. there was actually two of those 4x10's there, but I didn't plug them both in, I should have. Another thing that struck me was how small they looked. It's probably the smallest 4x10 I've come across.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It looks from the photo on the BassNW site that the cabinet is not covered in the typical carpet. What is the outside covering on the cabinet like?

I did some comparisons on the different 4x10 cabs and the Glock is significantly lighter than the rest at 81 lbs. Although the size is comperable to the SWR Goliath III.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I do beleive that the cabinet covering is an industrial spray-on type, like a truck bed liner. I'm actually thinking of redoing my cabs with the stuff. I hate the carpet cause I have cats.

6. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Come on guys. We gotta take a stand here somewhere. Speaker cab prices for "audiophile" bass speakers is just goin' through the roof.

There is NO WAY these cabinets are worth it!!! I don't give a rat's what they're claiming or how "lite" they are. "Use them as reference." What the rock does that mean? Who's reference? Someone who's won the lottery? Really great high's and mid's. NO ONE CARES but you!!! I doesn't make a difference except in your egos mind!!

Even if each speaker was a $300 retail with an actual cost to Glockenburg of $55.00, do you really think that the rest of the cabinet, the tweeter, and industrial truck liner spray is worth another $1800? Who's building this thing, a nuclear physicist who's out of work, or a heart surgeon that needs some extra cash to buy a Lexus convertible for his wife?

This reminds me of the Alexsandro or something similar, 60 watt all tube bass head for $3000 or something close we all saw in the "high end corner." It's one thing to pay out the nose for a hand crafted bass. Hey, but just because we're getting more affluent as a group doesn't give any company, especially the one's claiming their "high endness" speakers, to carte blanche to rip us off and make hellacious profits per cabinet at our expense.

You have to look at Acme's pricing for realisism. Do you think Andy Lewis isn't making a reasonable profit on his 410 which is pretty much state of the art build wise and component quality-wise? He's only charging what? Around $500 for it? Do you feel the materials are so much better and the time to build a Glockensmuck is so much more than an Acme to warrant pricing them 5 or 6 times higher?

Also, think of where you're playing and who you're playing for and tell me with a straight face that they REALLY give a crap about whether the bass player is using a Peavey, SWR, Acme, Epifani, EA, Bergantino, Eden, Bag End, Sunn etc etc., let alone a Glockenshpeil or really are going to be able to tell the difference in sound so much that it makes you and your band more successful? (or are even listening that darn closely to what you're personally doing.)

Wise up guys. The best players out there aren't messin' with this high end crap for a reason. Their ego's surround their playing, not whether they have the most expensive speaker cabinets.

Glock's are a rip off and only your egoes really care about getting that last drop of coffee out of your cup for double the price.

LKaye

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The price is not to blame on Glockenklang alone.
    It's freight, distributor and retailer profits and customs.
    A Take Five costs around 1300-1500$ in Germany which is what SWR Gloliaths and Eden XLTs cost. And they're definitely better-sounding and have better construction.
    On the other hand Bag Ends cost more than 3000$ over here - that's more than double!

Most equipment from the U.S. is ridiculously expensive in Europe - so you're lucky that most companies are in the U.S.
    Now you're at the wrong end, but that's not Glockenklang's fault.

When you go to the Musikmesse in Frankfurt (the biggest music fair worldwide - yeah, bigger than Namm!), almost everybody uses Glockenklang as reference amps.
    Did you actually play one?
    I did, and SWR and Eden can't hold against it.

9. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It's like gasoline. Too many factors effecting price having nothing to do with the bottom line cost of materials, labor and profit. I bought an EA 208 in Canada because it cost me 10% less with the exchange rate than if I bought it through the lowest price US dealer, including paying freight and duty!!

I'm glad everyone in Europe uses these cabinets. It likely won't happen here. Same reason that if players can get a Glock in Europe for the same price as an SWR or Eden, which are they choosing? If the glock was priced similar to Bergantino or EA's here in the US, I might be the first in line to buy one IF someone else would carry it's 81 pounds up and down the stairs for me, and if it fits into my car as well as 2 EA 208's do!!

It's not a question of how good these cabinets sound to you. It's that these other, less expensive cabs still sound good enough to most other musicians and bassists while the general audience either can't hear you, hears you through the PA anyway, doesn't listen to the bass player, can't tell the difference, or doesn't know it's the bass's tone that's making them party on anyways. Bottom line...we're not appreciated but I don't care. I'm still going to sound as good as I can, and try to balance my ego with my wallet.

By the way, I do have an ego too!! I like having nice sounding equipment that doesn't look like it's been through a hurricane junk sale. But, I won't buy any European audiophile amplifiers. speakers, or amps or guitars, (or cars for that matter) especially when my old ears will not be able, I guarantee you, to make my brain justify paying double for it.

Yeah, Maybe you and I likely can tell the difference between my rig and a glock rig but let's be frank. Your audience can't and for the 10 or 20% subjectively better sound you claim it puts out, I'll buy enough versatility and other cabinets where it won't be worth even considering a Glock which I've already done.

LKaye.