1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

SOLD Glorious Gamut Gut SOLO Strings (new)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Bass Amps, Strings, & Accessories' started by Jason Sypher, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Price:
    Exceedingly rare Gamut Solo set (E,B,E,A) of new gut strings. I put them on the bass and they are exquisite, truly works of art. I am taking on the Bach cello suites for my pandemic homework assignment and I thought it might be fascinating to try them on guts. While I find them gorgeous to play and the sound warm and captivating, I am having trouble with the extremely high harmonics (above the high g). I find I rely on these high harmonics more than I realized. I've actually been quite torn about it because every other aspect of the strings I prefer to the steels. I love the feel and the breadth of sound, the ease under the fingers, the flexibility . I can do things with these guts that I cannot possibly do on steels. The pizz sound is also to die for. But, in the interest of plowing through these suites I have to keep my focus and return to steels for the time being. I paid $553 a few days ago for these so I lose a hundred dollars for the experiment. The strings are varnished lyon on the A and E, and wound copper on the B and E. They are all medium gauge which I find to be very pleasing and easy to play. The copper wound is smoother than silver windings and easy to slide over, very comfortable. These are the finest gut strings on the market. I may just turn around and order a full set of standard gauge to have them in my arsenal for recording. 6EFFECC6-4548-46D9-82F4-400ED871C07B.JPG 08F8D586-1634-454D-BA4E-180247687611.JPG AAC581E1-4D8D-4ADE-B4CC-6D533B830112.JPG F54E5D26-0EC8-4E87-88BE-239B02DC983E.JPG IMG_7638.jpg

2. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

Nice presentation...that bass though...GLWTS

3. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you. Guts Luminescence Wedded To Soulfullness. It sounds as majestic as it looks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  4. I’m spoiled with nice basses, but ever so slightly envy your Lombardi.

Cool boots.

5. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    It has always been a great bass, though never in good health. I entrusted Mike Shank to a complete overhaul and neck-conversion last spring and it has never felt or sounded better.

6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    so the low E is a normal E string or did you tune it to F#?

7. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm doing the Edgar thing. Low E. It just sounds better!

Sam Dingle likes this.
  8. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not to derail a sale thread, but I too have been doing the gut Bach experiment the last three months- Goezt plain GDA with a Jargar Forte E/C. Since I'm strictly amateur I'm working off the Peters edition mostly. Making my way through the first three without Bach rising from his grave.

My 1810 Tyrolean has never sounded as warm, happy or loud. The guts make me play with more intentionality and really think about each note and phrase in a way that I never did with modern strings. The Arcus and an old Tom Owen bow seem to be the best matches. Who knew!

Somebody buy these before my wife finds out I even looked.

PS: Beautiful bass!
    Louis

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    john allemond likes this.
  9. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Exactly. Intent becomes more focused and there is a lot of control that is addictive. Honestly, as with most things, I don't care so much if they sell. I bought them for a reason and they are incredible strings. There will always be a time that I need something exactly like these. But I'm in a 'travel light' kind of mode right now where I am not keeping too much around unless I'm going to use it. The problem with keeping them in my sight is that it makes me want to switch back to them! I took them off for a reason, the high harmonics that I have come to rely on. I don't want to vacillate. The most important thing to me right now is learning and practicing. I couldn't help but be curious about the solos listening to so many great cellist, Peiter Wispeley in particular. But I'm going to stick to steels for the simplicity. At least for now! Ugh!

10. john allemond

Curious...what are the diameters of the 1st and 2nd strings?

11. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC

The Wispelwey recording was my first cello suite cd purchase many years ago. Back in March when I was spending some time with Bach, I was really vibing on the Thomas Demenga recordings

12. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    A medium = 1.82mm
    E medium = 2.60mm
    B copper medium = 2.4mm
    E copper medium = 3.22mm

13. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Took me a little while to shake off Casals and Edgar but once I did I fell in love.

JLubinsky-Mast and oliebrice like this.
  14. john allemond

Thank you...

15. garrett2

garrett2 Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I'm addicted to the Heinrich Schiff at the moment.

Jason Sypher likes this.
  16. Joe Kyle Jr.

Joe Kyle Jr. Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    SF, CA
    Curious - did you try playing them with the whole set tuned to orch. pitch?

17. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I did not. Which is interesting because I tune down the solo steels all the time depending on the music being played.

18. Joe Kyle Jr.

May 13, 2003
    SF, CA
    Based upon your experience with the response of the F# string tuned down a step, could you make an educated guess as to whether the whole set would have too little tension at orch. pitch? (I know this is entirely speculative, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks for playing along!)

19. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think it would work. I had the strings very low to the fingerboard and they still felt pretty taught on my bass. Of course, the E is already there so no difference.

20. Joe Kyle Jr.

May 13, 2003
    SF, CA
    pm sent!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021