Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 4, 2002.

1. The check is in the mail for this magnificent fretless:

Any and all GAS after this will be easily contained for years to come, because I now own two of the finest basses I've ever played.

FBB! FBB!
  2. so what happened to the whole "a fretless bass just can't cut through" thing?

nice lookin' bass though.
  3. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    very nice. i really like how the horns look.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    another FBB ehh.. sounds Good to me Pete. I like it
  5. Sometimes you don't need to cut through so much as just sound REAL PURTY.

6. Zon fretlesses tend to cut through pretty nicely. :D

Nevertheless, it looks like you've got a real winner on the way! May your wait be short and your intonation accurate.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    am i the only one who thinks that thing is butt ugly? i'm sure it sounds good.but MAN....
  8. It's a lot better in person.

Matt Schmill, God bless him, ain't exactly Ansel Adams.
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You know what? upon second look,,, it kinda grows on ya! i like the horns. just looked a little 2-D at first glance. Ive never heard how those things play, i'm guessing farely well?
  10. Hate you so much. :)
  11. Well, considering that this is the second bass of Matt's that I'm buying, I'd say they play pretty damned well.

I spent about 45 minutes with the bass back in October and it was glorious--the neck is fat and asymmetric, and fits my hand perfectly. I need a fat, asymmetric neck owing to being double-jointed in the base of each thumb, and my FBB 5-string fretted fits this perfectly.

I tried it out with my Clarus and my old CXM110 and the sound was smooth, rich, and hi-fi--exactly what I'm looking for in a fretless.
  12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    very nice my friend !!! wonder if he'd trade one of those for my Smith ?;)
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yes, yes you are...
    ;-) hehe

Dang Pete, you beat me to it. Ah well, guess I'll have to commission another f'less.

You let me know if you ever have to part with either of those...
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Looks like a keeper. So, when you come back to the plains and finish kicking my ass (heehee), I get to play them, right?
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Best Wish we've seen ...
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ew.... evil,,,, just evil.......
  18. :D

I think even Matt will admit that the headstock was a mistake. But hey--I can poke our sax player in his fat ass if he decides he wants to play "Stardust" while the drummer and I are laying down a double-time jungle breakbeat.

The body work is a lot better in person than in that pic. I will post better pics using my camera as soon as the bass arrives, probably next Friday.
  19. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Sweet bass, Pete. Gotta love the Macassar ebony control knobs.