1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

glossy amber transparent finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mickey Mao, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I'll be finishing an alder body, and I'd like it to look like my Squier VM amber Precision. It's a deep, honey-colored finish.

I don't have access to spray equipment, so I'm limited to wipe-on finishes and spray cans.

Any suggestions on the simplest way to get this kind of result? Stain with clearcoat? Tru Oil?

Suggestions welcome

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    Prep sand the body, hand rub 3 coats of Tru-oil, cure for 2 days. Spray 2 cans of Minwax nitro lacquer, cure for 30 days. Wetsand and polish.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
  4. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Or just 12 coats of tru-oil.

5. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    as above. just dont stain naked alder body, it will be significantly darker on places where the grain is open. amber hue should be created above the wood in this case.

6. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Depending on howmuch grain you want, use a clear grain sealer after you get the color you want. You can also mix the dye/tint into the grain sealer if it is water based. Another thing you want to watch for is end grain. Use a good wood conditioner before you apply the dye to the wood. Especially around the end grain.

Once you get the color you want and the amount of grain concealed that you like, then use Minwax wipe on poly. Make sure you follow my instructions in Davey's P/J thread as far as sanding. You'll get a high gloss finish with no grain showing with about 3 coats of grain filler and about 10 coats of poly.

I am getting ready to start another body using this method to get a high gloss/no grain finish. So stay tuned.

Good luck.

7. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning toward TruOil, as I've heard many good things about TruOil and I've been eager to try it out. If I can get the gloss I want using just TruOil, I may be able to skip the clearcoat. I'm a bit afraid of stain/dye, mostly due to the difficulties in getting an even tone across the end grain and open/closed wood pores.

I'll also follow Syco Bass' build--it may give me some more ideas!

Thanks!

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Oil will slightly amber the finish by itself, so you shouldn't need to use any stains. Personally, I'm not a big fan of stain/dye. It tends to be darker on the end grain, and can be splotchy. I prefer a tinted nitro if doing a trans color.

9. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    I sprayed Tru-oil on this body and neck after coloring with waterbased AAC colors. I thinned it to a mix of 75/25 with naptha. Used a detail gun with about 12 coats. You might be able to see a hint of how it ambers the metallic silver color. After spraying, let it cure for a week and then wet sanded to 1000 and polished with rottenstone, pumice with baby oil as a lube.

I, for one, have no problems spraying lacquer over an oil stain or finish. Just make sure they are cured and in the case of a poly finish, scuff sand before shooting nitro.

You can thin the wipe on poly with paint thinner or naptha and use as an end grain sealer or wood conditioner, if you will.

The other finishing schedules mentioned are good and work. JMHO
    DCP_0943.

10. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY

Tru-oil like this??

11. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    The True-oil will work great, and I love using it. But it will take many, many coats to fill the grain. If at all. Water based grain filler with a touch of amber tint followed by wipe on poly will give you a closer match to what you described.