Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glover or Hughes?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mcbassdude, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Roger Glover

91 vote(s)
    72.8%
  2. Glenn Hughes

34 vote(s)
    27.2%
  1. Okay a silly poll for all the old farts, but I'm curious. I was tracking a bunch of Deep Purple and was wondering what the general consensis is, Whom do you prefer as the Deep Purple bass player Roger Glover or Glenn Hughes?

I love 'em both but Glenn Hughes kicks my ass not to mention his singing voice. I just love Burn, Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band. Tasty funky rock grooves.

Thoughts?

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Glenn Hughes is GOD!
    Those DP albums with him are criminally underrated. Stormbringer is an absolute classic....
    Glover is the man & is part of the classic Purple sound, but GH is a bitch of a bassist with one of the best voices EVER!

Check out "Medusa" & "You Are The Music, We're Just The Band" by Trapeze - his band prior to Purple. Those are some amazing records and he didn't have to share vocal duties with any non-worthy (ahem) parties then either.

Admittedly, his "columbian produce" era output is a bit spotty, but his last record "Soul Mover" is a kick ass rock record. Chad Smith on drums & Dave Navarro guesting on a couple tracks as well.

I saw Glenn at the Tommy Bolin festival last summer & his live show slays many from bands young enough to be his kids.

3. I'm a glover guy myself. Great player. Plus, his Rickebacker tone on "Machine Head" Is so perfect for the music. I love it.

4. I completly agree that those records i.e. Stormbringer are way underrated. Glenn's bass parts are just so well written.
    That tune "You can't do it right without the one you love" is some tasty stuff. He was certainly capable of handling all the vocal parts. One of the great singing bassists.
    Anyone unfamiliar with Stormbringer should definatly give it a spin and if you haven't heard it in a while bust it out and rediscover it. An absolute classic.

I had a couple Trapeze disc's back in the day, real good stuff.
    I've gotten some of his solo work and most of it is really awesome stuff. I was just listening to his version of Hendrix' "Freedom" and a tune he has called "I'm a man" Unreal stuff. Download it if you can find it.
    Let's not forget the Hughes Thrall band too.

He's held up real well too.

I'd give my left nut to go the Bolin Fest. I was such a fan of Tommy's. What a loss. I did get to meet Tommy's Bro at the 2004 NAMM show.

5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Always been a big Roger Glover fan myself.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I guess I'm an old fart :meh:

I like Glenn's work on the MIE version of Burn and the studio take of You Fool No One.

Glover is too unintrusive for my taste.

7. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Well, I am not going to vote on this, because I think both of them brought different things to DP than just their bass playing. I am going to second the recommendation on the two Trapeze albums, though. Great band. I did get to see them live too. I liked YATM,WJTB the best. Havent heard it in years, though.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Tough decision here. I like Roger's work since most of the most acclaimed DP output was recorded by the MKII. He's a really solid player. But Glenn Hughes, who was the real singer of the MKIII lineup (never been so impressed by David Coverdale), recorded tastier and a bit more distinguishable basslines than Glover. This statement sounds as a vote for Hughes, but I feel I would be unfair with RG work, so I prefer to leave it blank.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No voting for Nic Simper?

I liked what Hughes brought to the band...funkier, harmony vocals. Too bad that lineup didn't last.

10. Glover all the way. Just the solo on Pictures of Home, who else could have come up with that? Great tone too. When I was young I always thought it was a Fender P, thanks to the back cover. Oh, the follies of youth...

Incidentally, I stood next to Nick Simper all night at zz Top's Brixton gig a couple of years back. Wish I'd said hello.

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Corey Glover.

12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Glover, though I liked Hughes AND Simper. When I first saw Purple for the Perfect Strangers tour, Roger was in the mix but didn't do anything memorable, but the Steve Morse era concerts have been amazing. TWO very cool classic era solos, plus the newer stuff which has some pretty cool bass lines.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'll take Hughes as bassist and Glover as producer.

14. Can't decide... It's like choosing Gillan vs. Coverdale.

I'd agree the Coverdale/Hughes DP releases are indeed underrated. I wore out at least two Made in Europe LP's back then. Just smokin!

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Glover for Purple, Hughes for Trapeze.

16. yeah, personally Nick Simper is the guy who really made me want to play bass...DP Mk1 is my favorite lineup, although i don't like hush a whole lot, but i really liked how MK1 added all the classical music to their music...but Machine head is still a classic recording! Space truckin' is probably the best song they did imo

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    That's exactly the words I was looking for.

Glenn Hughes is a frontman, which Glover never really was. And IMO much more audacity in Hughes' playing.

And the stock Fireglo looks much better than the Jetglo with J-like oblical modified pickup configuration. :D

Cheers
    Jay

18. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Hughes is amazing not only as a bassist, but as a vocalist. Anybody remember the Hughes Thrall band with Pat Thrall? Outstanding.

Glover might not be as dynamic or as pretty as Glenn, but he is the original DP bassist. That's good enough for me.

19. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    I'm Glover fan, he's got a warm, cuddly tone I really dig. Hughes' tone on Taste the band(the only Hughes/DP I own) is way too clanky for my taste. And on come taste the band, the last thing you need is another frontman, since both Coverdale and the awesomely underrated Tommy Bolin IMO does it a whole lot better than Hughes anyway.
    That one would have been near perfect for me if it had had Glover on the bass instead.

But that's just my two cents.

20. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Corey Hart