Glow in the dark strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Selta, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sounds ridicolous (sp?) right? Well, I was just wonderin' if any company makes four or five string sets that glow in the dark? If so, I would like to buy them, as my band plays in a total darkness alot. I think they'd go good with LED's, don't ya'll? lol, anyway, any info on GITD strings is appreciated.

I don't think those things could exist.. Not in this century at least... But there is a company that puts some kind of lights or lasers that "run" along the freatboeard paralel to the strings... I dont remember the website to this company..

They looked kind of ridiculous to me anyway.
    But if you just want something atractive on your bass that glows in the dark, get a sticker or something.. I put a glow-in-the-dark snowflake shaped piece of plastic on my the headstock and body of my bass when I played in the Cats musical. I guess it looked fine.. I couldn't see it
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pyramid used to offer neon-colored strings in the 80s, but I don't know if the glowed in the dark.
    They disappeared quickly again, my guess is they sounded not too well.
  4. I'm fairly sure glow in the dark strings are impossible. The phosphorescent stuff that makes things glow in the dark is a thick powdery substance that hardens. It would either crumbled off the strings due to the vibrations, or make your strings sound as if they were coated in dirt. Either way, the end results (awful tone) is worse than losing the desired effect (glowing strings).

For playing in total darkness, LEDs would be a good, albeit expensive, way to go. You could get glow in the dark stickers and mark your fret markers, or something to that effect.
  5. jlmorgan

May 12, 2002
    Why not take normal strings and just run all over them with a black light marker? then set a black light near you when your onstage. Of course the strings would probably be ruined by hey! your bass sure will look slick! :)
  6. Hmm. Maybe try to coat them in liquid laundry detergent?
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The white coating on Elixer strings should look pretty cool under a black light :cool: .
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I kind of figured that the tone would be more or less blown :(. I think I'm gonna do the dot inlay thingy, that sounds like it wont be bad, I'll use stickers at first, then if I like it I'll get paint (which will come off when I fret over it though huh?). Then after that, I'm going to go to Status Graphite for my LED's. They gave me an estimate of $500 for front & side ones and like $300 for one or the other. I think I'll go with fronts, what do you think? This is going to be a ways down the road, since I'm currently savin' for a new bass, but I just wanna see my options. Thanks all.
  9. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hey, you know those colored strings out today? The blue, red, and green ones sometimes on at the basses at GC? Well all that is is a colored strand of plastic wound in the string with the normal metal strands. So what if they just replaced that with a glow-in-the-dark plastic strand? Doesn't seem that hard, and the plastic part covers alot of the exterior of the string, like 80%.

Just a thought...
  10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, hey there's a thought. That never hit me :). I bet it'd cost a pretty penny to get GITD ones though :(....
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've never heard of glow in the dark strings, but I think it would be a really cool idea if a technology could be developed that would allow strings to glow without having a negative impact on their tone.

Failing that, what about painting the actual frets with glow in the dark paint? It might wear off rather fast, though as the strings make frequent contact with the fret wires.
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I'm gonna try all these ideas! 'Spically the laser one.
  13. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I'd save the cash and only do the side. Do you actually bend over your bass and look at the front ones? I never look at the front ones, really, unless I'm sitting down at home or something. Or watching someone on guitar, maybe.

I tried putting little dots of laundry detergent in the side dots on my bass to be visible with a blacklight when I first started playing. I would not recommend it, though. Laundry detergent is sticky, and once you get your thumb sliding around and smearing it, it just plain sucks.

14. tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La

Don't know about the glow in the dark thing, but
    Has a pretty cool idea. Also has video to show you how it looks.
  15. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just bought some of those cheap GITD stars from the store, got a hole punch and punched some holes and stuck them over the exsisting dots. Looks pretty damn cool. Theyve been on there for over a year now, even after the washing and playing.
  16. tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    I have an idea Bassr205dx

I have some glow in the dark paint that's used for nitesights for my 9mm pistol. I bet if you dotted your side position markers with that stuff it would work fine. Maybe even put a clearcoat on top to protect it.

It just has to be in the light for a few minutes to glow like 6-7 hrs. It's even rechargeable, just a few more minutes in the light.

I'm gonna go try right now, Let you know tonite.

Tummage :D
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think Ive heard that Vaseline glows under blacklights too.

18. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
  19. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Tummage, how'd that work :D??

Chris h, we play in the dark, we don't like lights (lights suck!) "we only come out at niiiiiiight, the days are much to biiiight." kind of fits us perfectly. We love playin' in the dark, no lamps aloud :D. Thanks for that link though...