Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glow in the dark stuff, not permanent?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by downstairs, Sep 20, 2002.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Yes, I'm playing a show october 5th, and they'll have lighting, so the lights might be going on and off and crazy....thing is I play a lined fretless, and I don't know the neck too great. Is there anything i could buy that i could put on the neck of my bass, that wouldn't screw it up too great? I have a 1970 Fender P-bass. Anything to help me at all, thanks in advance.

2. That Glow in the dark stuff will rub off after a few minutes. How about borrowing a fretted bass for the show if you're uncomfortable with the lined fretless still?

3. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    glow in the dark stickers would work and they should come off.. i'm not sure if it will stick very well, maybe just put them on the side.

4. Glow in the dark letters to spell out a word...

"Richard Symmons Rules!" <-- 20 letters/ 20 frets.

:D:D

Merls

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

6. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Well, i don't really wanna use a different bass, I really loves thisun, and the thing is 32 years old, i don't wanna go fudging it up. I'll probably try some glow in the dark letters on the side. Its not that I'm uncomfy, I'm just kinding paranoid.

7. SkyLighter

SkyLighter

Sep 14, 2007
    I am not a guitar player, but I work at a company called Glow Inc. that manufactures glow in the dark paint and we get the question about how to mark frets on a regular basis.

Here is how the professionals have made glow in the dark frets.

Cover the arm where you need fret marks with masking tape.

Mark fret marks with pencil on masking tape. Use a 1/8" drill bit and drill 1/16" deep through the tape and into the side of the arm at each fret mark.

Buy glow in the dark pigment (I suggest V10 level, about $4) and mix it into 30 minute epoxy.

Use a toothpick to fill each hole exactly to the top. Do not create a "hump".

Allow to dry and remove tape.

You can find the glow pigment here:
    Glow in the Dark Powder

Danny Clark
    Glow Inc.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My question is...

does this glow in the dark stuff eventually fade out and not glow any longer?

9. SkyLighter

SkyLighter

Sep 14, 2007
    Glow in the dark pigments are made from various raw materials, which have different characteristics.

Most glow in the dark products are made from Zinc Sulfide, which will decay from sunlight over a year or two.

V10 level products are made from Strontium Aluminate. They do not decay from sunlight or UV, and will actually only loose about 5% glow over 10 years.

Danny Clark
    Glow Inc.

10. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Downstaris;

I'd not worry about it. Trust in YOURSELF. You know how to play your fretless, so just play it. Go with that inner knowingness...

My $.02

Mike