Glue-in instead of bolt-on neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Mar 18, 2005.

1. What's the disadvantage of gluing a neck into a standard
    bolt-on style neck pocket?

Obviously the neck would be more difficult to remove if it was damaged but not impossible.

Just curious why more people don't do that.
  2. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Many people do do that. It's called a set-neck. Most people say it sounds half neck-though, half bolt-on.
  3. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'm making a set-in now. I'm doing it because I like the look of it and I was installing LED's in the neck. It was originally a bolt on but I changed my mind. I guess a major advangage is a distinct sound that can only be acheived with a set-in neck. They're pretty strong, but I have heard of them breaking over time.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I did this to my P bass. Sounds pretty good. Made my Pbass bright.
  5. I guess I always thought of a "set neck" bass as having a dovetail joint where the neck connects. I suppose there are many ways to do it. It's tempting to just glue the neck in rather than mess with drilling holes for the bolts.

I may try that in the furure.
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    This came up recently in another thread. I always thought of set-necks as having a mortise-and-tenon like Gibson. But there's a handful of modern builders that are doing without the extra joinery these days.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A properly set up glue joint with titebond 2 can take about 3750psi (from their website). I don't figure you need any real fancy joinery.
  8. I am a big fan of setnecks. The reason I prefer them is because they provide the convenience of a bolt on in the building stages (you build the neck and body separately) but they provide the structural strength of a through body (everybody knows you can knock a bolt on neck out of place easily). Plus, if you use the same wood on your body for a center block as on your neck, you essentially have a through neck (you couldn't tell the difference in sound).
  9. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I hear though, that since glue isn't exactly resonant it negatively affects the tone.
  10. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Acoustic guitars are pretty much held together by glue. A good electric setneck joint has a teeny tiny amount of glue holding the actual joint together. Compair that to a glue filled acoustic dovetail joint or a standard electric bolt-on.

To me setnecks are the best of both worlds, a very solid joint for the body and neck (I'm not much of a screw fan) and since the bridge isn't connected directly to the neck blank as in a thru-body instrument the body wood is actually be part of the sound.