Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glue of Choice for Ply Repairs

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by idahohay, Dec 15, 2005.

1. idahohay

idahohay

Nov 22, 2002
    Priest River, ID
    Any opinions as to the glue of choice for repairing delaminating edges and replacing missing veneer? Separating plys that can't possibly be rid of original glue? Hide glue? Titebond? Superglue?

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I reconstructed an old plywood school bass of unknown origin that had been dragged around so much that the top and back were actually smaller than the ribs in some places! I used Titebond to glue maple veneers to extend the top and back where needed, and then a lightweight wood filler to fill it in between the veneers. Probably not the best method, but it worked. I reattached the top to the ribs using hide glue.

3. Frei-bag bass

Frei-bag bass

Jul 16, 2005
    no matter what quality bass you repair, use carpenter glue (off white/yellow) and keep it clean of drips inside and out theres nothing worse to see on the ribs and bracing but dried up glue

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    ***?!?! :eek:

5. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    ...I was trying to find Chris' popcorn-eating buddy.

7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    C'mon Arnold, judging from this guys other thread I think we could learn a thing or two from him. After all he is influenced by Les Claypool!

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I don't think so. Look at this other thread of his; http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219041

My advise on that is "Keep your day job". And, your friend should not ask any medical advise either!!

Hey, some nights TB is better than 'sitcom' re-runs.. Don't you think?

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Jeff, who or what is Less Claypools? Is there a "More Clay Pools" too? I prefer diving into a Pool built a little more sturdy. Also, the Clay may make the water a bit Muddy! Having a Pool also raises your home owners insurance as well. Property Taxes are high enough! No Pool in my Yard I say...

10. Frei-bag bass

Frei-bag bass

Jul 16, 2005
    thank you soo much for the kind/arrogant remarks; i respect how different a double is compared to a bass guitar, its new to me and has peaked my interest, Where i come from, folks correct you if they beleive your wrong not taunt the lack of expeirience, well at least since the 2nd grade.
    btw i m not even a fan of primus; guy that set me up put down w/e so the damn site would register. (ya im computer iliterate; so ya can poke fun at that too)
    now i think i'll auction off my smith :rollno:

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    http://www.lesclaypool.com/home/ . I like Les's playing and I like Primus, plus us El Sobranyites got to stick up for one another.

12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    OOPs.. Gotta be careful who we tease...lol.. Sry.. all in fun n Bass.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

I know, it was just a play on words..

14. Frei-bag bass

Frei-bag bass

Jul 16, 2005
    well, actually i would never sell my KS no matter what, but im still offended...... but i'll keep my half baked questions to myself

keep em comin
    peace

15. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

There's got to be a picture somewhere with Claypool holding a Ken Smith bass...

16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    No need to take offense. Look at the names of the guys' interest you sparked. Some of the best Luthiers alive today. Alive on some days that is. lol.. Arnold has his moments.. I can kid around with him. Jeff and Brent are also great luthiers. When I was much younger, hanging around in a Guitar shop someone said that so and so (to remain nameless as he is up in the heavens now) said "if Stradivari were alive today, he would use Titebond Glue on his Violins". Can you imagine the look on my face. Even then I was working on Double Basses and that was around 1973-1974 or so. Somewhere around then.

So when someone comes up here in the 'Lions Pit' and yells out "Whats for Dinner?".. RUN.. and Run Fast 'cause these Sharks will eat you alive with Luthier talk.. They live for it.. And we have a little fun along the way...Hiding behind their Sawdusty Varnish dripping Keyboards just waiting for a Newbie... 'Fresh Wood'!! They lick their chops and pick up a carving knife or sound post setter.. fighting for scraps of this Newbie to eat alive..

See, if you hadn't come up here, you wouldn't have known how much you Smith Bass loves his older brother Mr.DB...

17. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    couldn't have said it better myself arnold. perfect.

18. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    I think he would hated titebond...but super glue, that he woulda loved.

19. Particularly on his carbon fibre violins...

20. Hope I don't get flamed for this, but it looks like (with one exception) no one has really tried to answer the original question.

I understand that for the vast majority of DB applications, hide glue is the glue of choice. An instrument that has been played for 50, 100, or 200 or more years will obviously need to have things like the fingerboard, nut, etc. replaced over the course of its life, so you might as well make those tasks as simple as possible. If the weather changes and a seam pops, that would preferable to having a crack develop. And, of course, you would want any modifications made to a vintage instrument to be easily reversable. Hence the hide glue. Makes sense.

However, I'm still wondering if hide glue would be the best choice for repairing ply delaminations. In this case, it seems that you would want the repair to be as strong as possible. You certainly wouldn't want to reverse it! Are there other reasons why you wouldn't use something else? Tonal considerations? Ease of use?

I hope someone can enlighten me .......

Thanks
    Jim C