1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glue on fretboard :(

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AndyTheDude, Jul 1, 2019.

1. AndyTheDude

AndyTheDude

Aug 12, 2007
    Ireland
    I got my brand new Ibanez SR300EB delivered today. Sadly, upon closer inspection I discovered a bit of hardened residue on the fretboard close to one of the inlays. Whoever was putting the inlays in used too much glue and did the whole thing rather carelessly. It's an inexpensive instrument, so I am not going to go through the process of shipping the bass back.
    Is there any easy way of removing the glue without damaging the fretboard?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  2. Use a razor blade to scrape between the frets.

Picton and Gilmourisgod like this.
  3. Have you tried just wiping it with a clean, damp cloth?

Reedt2000 and JLS like this.
  4. AndyTheDude

AndyTheDude

Aug 12, 2007
    Ireland
    This stuff is really hard. I'll try with a Stanley blade tomorrow but I don't think it's going to work. I've tried with a flat screwdriver but to no avail.

5. You could try various solvents like lacquer thinner or acetone but they might damage the marker dot.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    Use the blade and go slow. A few layers at a time. Don’t use a screwdriver. You might gouge the board. If your planning on using an “oil” treatment on the board you can lightly sand after using the blade and then apply your choice of oil. I had a light scratch on my Indian Laurel board. I used 1K grit sandpaper and then applied a super light coat of BLO. Scratch gone..looks new!!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. You may already know this so forgive me in advance if I’m being obvious. When you say you tried a screwdriver I’m picturing using a flatblade and “prying” on the glue. Please don’t do that. You will damage the fretboard. Get a razor blade or a utility knife blade and scrape the glue. It wouldn’t be a terrible idea to watch a video about sharpening a scraper and use that info to turn a burr on the razor blade and scrape that way.

Also, let us know how it turns out!

Reedt2000 and 202dy like this.
  8. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    "I've tried with a flat screwdriver but to no avail."

Sir! Put down whatever you have in your hand, and step away from the bass!

9. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    razor blade. it's possibly epoxy from the inlay work or just general workplace schmutz. use one of those razor blades that have that aluminum "thing" on one side not the triangluar stanley types, as you need a flexable blade. drag across and scrape the stuff off. don't try to cut into it like when whittling a piece of wood. move along the length of the neck in one direction and "scrape" and you will be fine. rub in a small dab of fretboard care product of your choice after, and you're done.

it's no harder then shaving your face. :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Matt Liebenau likes this.
  10. I came back to post this. Try nail-polish remover, but don't let it get into the fret crevice or onto the inlay.

11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Neither acetone or naphtha will hurt the inlays. Either of those can even get into the frets cuts and its no big deal, though I wouldn't make a habit of that. Acetone and naphtha both drive oils away until they evaporate, then the oils will return, and yes wood oils will migrate some.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  12. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    +1 to this ^

Put masking tape on the frets so you don't scuff them. Take very light sand paper and carefully sand with the grain until it's off. Treat the fretboard with lemon oil or some similar oil to condition it. It should look like new when you're done.

Killed_by_Death and Rallypoint_1 like this.
  13. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    ship it overseas to me. I'll have it done in under 6 minutes with no tape, solvents, sandpaper, damp cloths, video tutorials, cabinet scrapers or screwdrivers required. then pay for return shipping. :)

14. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    if that dot is plastic, acetone and it's aplicator cloth, towel, q-tip, whatever.. will mess it up pretty quick.

15. KenB

KenB

Jul 15, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Don’t get acetone anywhere near the finish or any plastic parts (including the inlay if it might be plastic).
    Naphtha is safe for anything.
    Scraping with a sharp edge is probably the only safe way to go. The razor blade scraper hint above is probably the best idea.

pcake likes this.
  16. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I have found, and this works even with Superglue, that spraying the glue blob with Goo Gone and letting it set up for a few minutes makes for easy scraping with a single-blade razor, box knife blade, what-have-you.

17. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    “I’ve tried smashing it with the claw end of a framing hammer and it didn’t work.....”

JLS and Reedt2000 like this.
  18. Odd, looks like sellotape residue from a price tag or sticker.

but yea. sandpaper or a razor blade.

19. My tried and true method is to use Trumpet valve oil on glue stains, It works like a charm. It is deoderized kerosene and I don't care if it cost 4 to 5 bucks it is worth it for fixing instruments.

20. AndyTheDude

AndyTheDude

Aug 12, 2007
    Ireland
    Thank you all for all your replies. I finally had some spare time today, and I followed your advice and removed it all with a stanley blade. The glue came off fairly easily.
    I scratched the fingerboard a little bit in the process, but it can only be seen when the light hits it at certain angle. So, all in all it was a success.
    As the strings were off, I attacked the sharp fret ends with a metal file. The bass feels so much better now. :)
    Thanks to all again.
    View attachment 3469131
    View attachment 3469130

Attached Files: