Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glue that works good on wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Freaky Fender, Sep 30, 2002.

1. I've been turning my Sqiuer Bronco into a fretless, and i've gotten to the point where i need the peices of walnut glued in. I'm afraid to use elmers, for i think it may rot the inside of the wood, and warp the truss rod. Any ideas on what glue i should use?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Definetly.

Peace
    Nick

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Another vote for wood glue.

Wipe off any excess with a damp cloth, before it has a chance to dry.

4. I've been using wood glue. So far it's worked just fine. That has been with bodies though, but I don't see any problem using it with the neck. It shouldn't rot the wood or warp the truss rod. Just wipe off the excess with a damp cloth and you'll be fine.

5. can i find this at any hobby store? or is it special order?

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Go to a hardware store and look for Titebond. You could also use epoxy or CA glue. Those are harder to find and a little more difficult to work with.

CA glue has the benefit of being better at filling gaps. It's what I use for lined fretlesses now.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe Krazy Glue is a kind of CA glue.

Is that correct?

I only recomemended Krazy Glue because I thought it was CA glue.

Peace
    Nick

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Crazy Glue is overpriced CA glue. Plus, you can usually only get two or three uses from the bottle before it dries up on you. Look for "Hot Stuff" at your local hardware store. I get it at Lee Valley Tools.
    There are a few different types: I use one that wicks in quickly and dries fast, and a gap filling one. I use the gap filling one for putting in frets. For lined fretless I use the one that wicks better into the slots, then I put in styrene strips.

9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I use Hot Stuff yellow label for fret lines and fret ends. It's the best CA that I've used. AllParts also sells it.