Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Philbo, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Philbo

Jan 11, 2005
    what type of glue do I use to bond the two pieces of an alder body? Could i just use a lot of wood glue with a brush? thanks a lot
  2. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Yes, provided you spread it evenly and clamp the pieces together tightly. Clean up the oozing, and let sit clamped for about two days (you can go overnight, but I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to these things). Then let it sit unclamped to let the glue fully cure. It should take about four days.

By the way, don't clamp the body directly; use a piece between the clamp and the body (called a caul).
  3. two days?!?!?! a couple of hours is enough on fairly warm weather! provided you don't put any stress on the joint, even a half hour is enough in warm weather.
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    A couple of hours is good enough until you get a ruined glue-up. Keep in mind that the glue has water in it, which will hop into the woods, and may cause movement, which can produce significant stress. I had a walnut top pop up off its back once after a glue-job that I was trying to get done quickly (so I could use the clamps for something else). Now I leave my glue-ups in clamps for a full day no matter how tempting it is to unclamp.

It's unlikely that a glue job of two body halves will move in this way, so you'd probably be safe to unclamp after a couple of hours, but it pays to develop safe habits.
  5. Philbo

Jan 11, 2005
    thanks a lot for the help. i'll be keeping it glued for at least a day to make sure it fully cures. (i'm not in any rush to get this done)
  6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    to answer the first question. I like titebond the first one.t