Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glued in neck? or bolted?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Dec 19, 2005.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I saw a Tokai Thunderbird on ebay today (buy it now ebay shop) i phoned them up and they said it was 299 and it was better than the epiphone copy because it had a glued in neck. Im just wondering (how is a glued in neck better than the epiphone's bolted one?)
    Also, how durable is a glued on neck? if i drop it or something will it snap off?

yes in case you havent noticed, this is my third thread about the T-bird :D . Its called GAS isnt it?

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Ever see a Gibson Les Paul? Was the neck snapped?

There are several manufacturers who use the glued "set neck," including Alembic. There are supposed to be some sonic reasons behind it all.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dunno how I feel about a shop referring to it as a "glued in neck" instead of a set neck, but it REALLY doesn't make a difference to me. I go on a bass by bass basis. If it sounds good, go for it. However, but sight unseen, I dunno what to tell you.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A set neck is a good design if executed correctly, although I would probably be less excited about buying a cheap bass with a set neck.

There is a certain comfort in knowing that you have SOME flexibility in correcting a poor build with a shim or other mod in the neck joint. Or worst case, you have a least part of a bass for future Frankenstein efforts.

With a set neck, you have none of this. If it ever twists or otherwise gets out of usable condition, it's done. The cheaper the bass, the higher the likelihood of the use of less seasoned wood or generally lesser quality wood.

I wouldn't be that excited about a $300 set neck bass. If you think there's a maker out there that visually inspects each neck blank for proper seasoning and appropriate grain alignment and overall general quality, hand fits each neck joint to ensure the correct alignment and still sells the bass for $300, maybe, it is a good deal.

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Bolt-on necks and set necks have their pros and cons. Perhaps the sales person should have used the term "more authentic" instead of "better". The set-neck construction would make the Tokai closer resemble a real Gibson T-Bird than the Epiphone. Tokai is generally regarded as a maker of some very decent instruments.

6. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I'm not so sure I agree with this... For the average person, it would more than likely be done... But CT does work on his basses that people send back to them and a lot of his basses are set neck.

But yeah, for a cheap bass like this, I totally agree with being if it messes up it wouldn't be worth the fix... Because you would have to take it to a pro luthier to get it worked on.

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    just a thought: If the necks go into the body a bit and is then glued on(correct me if im wrong) if it screws up cant you just chop the bit of the end that goes into the body and then bolt it onto the body?

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Well, yes. You are correct. A competent luthier can completely unset and reset a neck. It is fairly common practice on old acoustic guitars and violin family instruments.

I don't think I would try though.

Well, I probably would, but I would most likely regret it.