1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

glueing bowed wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gbarcus, Oct 5, 2009.

1. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    I'm in the process of gluing the neck of what is to be a 5 string neckthru. I have a large piece of maple that is going on the outside of the neck with bloodwood and maple on the inside

Question is the large piece (1.75"x5"x44") is going to be sawed in half and then put same side facing inward towards the center of the neck. Problem is that when you lay it on a flat surface, it has 2.7mm of bend in the middle.

I'm thinking when I glue it together, each bow will cancel each other out. Just wondering if this is somehow going to come back to haunt me... Would warp over time?
    Here you can see what I'm planing and the wood that is going to be glued together.

[​IMG]
    (thanks JC Basses for that PS tutorial video. I went thru quite a few different scenarios not realizing what it might look like.)

2. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    Can you run it through a jointer to straighten it out.

When ever I glue up necks I always start with a perfectly straight piece of 8/4. I lay it with the next piece on top and put both together on top of my bench, glue and clamp em'. I check after a half hour to make sure it's perfectly straight. If not I stop, if it's good I keep clamping the rest of the neck wood every half hour or so until all the pieces are finished and then leave them clamped together over night to dry.

The last thing you want is any defection in you neck, one little bow will cause a major problem when all your neck is glued together.

3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I have never used anything other than dead straight wood in my builds, I dimension them myself. And personally would never trust glue to fix a wood issue, and yes I think it might come back to haunt you, sorry.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    btw your pickups are upside down in the picture

5. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Good point. I've got a safe-t-planer coming in the mail. I'll give that a whirl.

6. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Well...the Safe-t-planer came in the mail. While i'm sure it would work if you took the time to build a perfectly straight working surface that is adjustable with your drill press...not worth it to me.

I took your advice jworrellbass and bought a jointer. Not what I was expecting to spend money on, but after using it, it was money well spent.

7. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    Excellent, my jointer and bandsaw are my most expensive tools, money well spent.