Glueing Cocobolo

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by basstrader, May 8, 2003.

1. How can a wood name have so many O's in it? It reminds me of Oconomowoc in Wosconson, near Molwookie.

Nuff of bad humor. I really am asking about glueing up a neck using Cocobolo as a fingerboard. It'll go on a lined fretless. I'm going to use purfling for the lines. I've heard it is a tough wood to glue.

Stay Low,

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    (I think) I recall that you can help the glue-up by running a rag soaked in acetone over it. Be careful with that stuff though -ventilate the room, wear a mask, goggles and gloves, and DON'T dump the excess down the drain. Some people believe that a rough surface makes for a better joint, but it's a chemical reaction, not a mechanical one, so there's no need to rough up the surfaces.

LM bass
  3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I would use epoxy and not yellow Wood glue.
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have used Titebond. I use epoxy on any other joint, but for the fingerboard I use Titebond in case it needs to come off.

Wipe it down with Naptha a little while before you glue it on and you should be fine.
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    On one luthier's site (I don't recall which one), it said that he wiped with naptha dozens of times over a few days in order to "de-oil" the gluing surface thoroughly. Don't know whether this is necessary, or just fanaticism though.
  6. webrax

Apr 19, 2003
    Cocobolo can be quite oily and resinous. The logic behind wiping it down with Naptha / acetone is that it will degrease the surface and allow a better glue joint.

I can recommend Franklin Titebond Polyurethane as being very suitable - air cures - "foams" and expands as it sets. Cleans up well, but is very difficult to break a joint after fully cured. If you can't see the need to ever remove the board then give it a try.

With all new glues, practise on a piece of scrap first !!! Good luck!
  7. Thanks to all you guys for chipping in. I'm going to have some free time this summer so hopefully I'll be able to really get back to work on this project. I'll try to get some work-in-progress shots as I go.

Stay Low,