glueing layers of of wood.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by toonman, Feb 10, 2005.

1. When doing this Do you put any dowls of biskits in there to help hold them to gether? I didn't use any on my bass and was wondering if it;s going to hold up.
  2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    No I don't use any.....t
  3. I don't use any and none are needed. In fact, I don't know of any builder - pro or amateur that uses them.
  4. Considering the glue is stronger than the wood around it, if it was properly applied, and properly clamped, it'll never come apart under normal conditions.

I assume you used an Aliphatic resin? (Titebond....)
  5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Definitely not when glueing layers. I tried a couple of biscuits once when I glued up two chunks of maple to make a body blank, in the same fashion that furniture makers use them when glueing up boards to make a table top, but they're not neccessary. I haven't used any since and doubt I ever will again.
  6. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I've been trying to glue up laminates lately that are not completely square/90 degrees.......without success. If the pieces are angled in any way, you need to make comprimising jig-type pieces to help with the equal distance factor.
    DOes that make sense? I've had a few pieces 'slip' on me when trying to glue them.
    I usually use a staple gun and put a staple into the ends of the pieces (which will be cut out later, no staples in actual piece used) and then cut the "end" off the staple so there's just two points, file, pliers, helps pieces from 'slippage'.....the two pieces grab each other and helps keep the pieces from moving when glueing.
    I'd like to experiment with vacuum-type bags in the future......
    not quite there yet though.
  7. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I know of one or two other builders who use small dowels when glueing on body wings, but they do it more for alignment than for strength.

There is an old, simple trick to keep two pieces of wood from slipping when glueing and clamping, and a large majority of luthiers use it for glueing on fingerboards, scarf joints, laminated tops, body wings, etc. The trick is to put a regular old staple in the wood (yes, a simple 1/4" staple gun from home depot or sears works fine....). You then cut the top of the staple off about 1/16" - 1/8" above the surface of the wood, and then glue down the next piece. The staples will keep the two pieces from slipping when clamping pressure is applied.

The real trick is to place the staples somewhere where the wood will be cut away in a following process, or where they will NEVER be at risk of showing up when you start cutting or shaping the piece and thereby ruining your work.

8. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    that's what i meant to say :p