1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

glueing question for a semi-hollow body... HELP!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ModulusAcacia, Mar 30, 2006.

1. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    OK, so I'm working on my first semi-hollow, and sadly, it's a gu***r. :( but please help me regardless :help: ... I'm thinking up how I'm going to do this ,and it's kind of a ghetto way of doing it, but still effective... I'm using a 5 piece body, 1/8" top and back, a 3/4" core and veneers between the core and tops. before glueing I was going to use a jig saw and cut out the hollow chamber from the core wood then glue on the top and back... but here's my questions. How can I prevent glue from getting squeezed into the hollow chambers of the body? is there a way to get it out with out using a dental suck vac through an F hole while the glue's still wet? (can you tell i just had a cavity filled?) do I just need to be conservative with the titebond? help oh wise ones...

~JK~

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    What most of us, I think, do to prevent glue form seeping into the truss rod joint is to mask off some 6-10 mm on each side of the truss. Then you shouldn't use too much glue, either.
    I can't remember anybody reporting problems with the truss after using that method. Hence, you should heave very little seepage in your cavities.

3. Practice with some scraps that are about the same dimensions. Put lots of glue on, put a little glue on, put medium glue, and clamp them the same way you would the real thing. Find the right amount that just barely squeezes out, and use that much on the final glue-up. No cleanup needed, it'll be just right.

Besides, you'll be better at gluing next time.

4. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    This seems to make the most sense ever. There is one slight catch that may help me a bit... the piece of chake te kok I'm using for the top have a slight up bow to it running parallel to the center line of the instrument. Assuming I steam it a slight bit to help it flex, and clamp from the center to the outside in theory the majority of the glue would be pushed out to the outside, but I'm still a novice, so it's anybody's guess. just curious, may impression of wood glue has always been the more the better, will a small amount still hold the way I want it to as long as it's a thorough covering? All the info I can get will never hurt me :)

5. Here's a trick: Lay the board out on the grass, with the curve down, like an upside-down canoe, on a sunny day. WATCH IT CLOSELY! In just a short time (only a couple minutes, really), the bottom side will take on a little moisture from the grass, the top side will dry out a bit from the sun, and it will curve upwards. If you placed it with the curve down, that upward curve will bring it toward flat. When it's just right, take it inside and glue it up.

As long as a little bit of glue squeezes out, you have enough. If nothing squeezes out, you needed more :meh:. The joint will be the same with a little squeeze-out or with glue running all over the place. What you want is a row of little beads along the joint.

If you get that amount of glue, the clamping order won't really matter, but middle-out sounds good to me for most glue jobs.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Question: Why is it a problem is some glue squeezes out into the chambers?

7. For me, it's just the principle of the matter. A bunch of glue squeeze-out, even where you can't see it, means I could have done a better job.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Uh-huh. For me, a little (not excessive) squeezout in an interior, unseen volume means good joints!

9. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Even if you take all kinds of care, will there be any way to visually tell whether there has been glue squeeze out inside or not?

For instance, I have built a semihollow guitar with an "f" hole, but there would be no way to even inspect the inside of the glue joint without using a flashlight and one of those dental mirrors.

10. This Post, last picture. The glue at the end of the fretboard. That's how much I want to see (or know is there, even if I can't see it)

What are you meaning, compared to that?

11. yeah... well, you could try and feel around for it... lol...

I mean, who cares... Im not suggesting you slap a crap load of glue on it and put it together, but in respect to the overall sound and feel of the guitar, im pretty sure it wont matter much (unless its a mental thing youve got stuck in your head..)

A semi hollow has been in my thoughts for a long time... and your idea is not "getto" unless your expexting to make an archtop... wich is something completely different...

I actually bought an "ampeg" style semi hollow (you know, with the f holes)

and i realized, all the guy did, was take 3 pieces of wood, route out the middle piece except for like a 4" middle section (like you said, except you said with a saw (which is about the same)) then gued on the walnut top and back... then routed around it... (oh yes... and put in the f holes.. lol)

12. and that's exactly what I meant. It would just bug me knowing it's in there.

13. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

My fingers aren't skinny/long enough for that. ;)

14. lol... funny you mention it...

mine arent either... i think i should post pics... my hands are extremely wierd... my palms are huge in compairson to my fingers...

with my hand laying on its back, my middle finger is shorter than my palm.... is that wierd or what...

it might be normal for some people... but i know for a fact, most people arent like that...

so yeah... back on topic...

use a moderate amount of glue... "what you think is right" and DONT CHECK!

just assure yourself your doing the right amount... and dont look... problem solved... :p

15. I've done this. Rest assured that if you have a little bit of squeeze out, your body will be sonically better than if you have a slightly dry joint.

You won't know its there if you don't look for it! You may see some in the control cavity, but that can be cleaned up with chisels or a router. So glue it up and move on!