1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gluing a "Hot Rod" dual-action truss rod

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Anonymous 98765, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    My bass build is going pretty well, you can see the progress here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373506&page=4

What I need to know is, and I know this topic has been covered before, do I need to "glue" in the dual-action truss rods? They are Stew Mac's Hot Rod design.

I've seen vague answers before so what I really need is a single, definitive answer :smug:

1) Where on the rods do I glue? At the brass ends or all the way along?

2) What type of "glue" do I use? I know there are many different types for different jobs so what do I use for this?

3) Bearing in mind they are dual-action rods and are designed to bend the neck both ways, how does this affect how I apply the glue?

I was originally assuming that I just glued in the brass ends of the dual rods to keep them in place and allow for movement.

Hopefully I'll get some replies ASAP as my bass has to be finished by mid March.

Thanks,

James

2. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Thanks for that link anyway, it says:

"Apply a small amount of silicone bathtub sealer in the slot at the double nuts, then press the rod as deeply into the slot as possible. Use only enough silicone for minimal squeeze-out. A spot or two along the double rods can also be cushioned by a little sealer."

So that's what I'll use just to keep them in place.

James

3. I have used that feature, too. I changed a 1/8 allen rod with a Spoke rod and I love the new one. It was a tight fit, but I was able to remove the rod out the heel end of the neck.

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    If the truss rod channel is cut well there should be no need for glue. I never have had a problem with my truss rods moving or rattling at all, but I do use dual action LMI's.
    Most times I actually have to use clamps or a rubber hammer to get the rod mounted.
    Good Luck,
    Dirk

5. Anonymous 98765

Anonymous 98765 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    The slots are ok, but there will be some movement of the rod lengthways if i don't fix it with the sealer, due to the allen nut access cavities.

James

6. So are some of you guys saying you remove the rods sucessfully because you route the channel right to the end of the heel? It'll slide in and out???

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Along this same line of discussion, is it necessary or advisable to lay down a veneer "cover" to the truss rod, or should it be in direct contact with the back of the fingerboard? I've seen pictures both ways.
    The truss rod is a dual action Doeringer with a flat metal top.

8. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    no veneer covers for me, but I do utilize a little tape to seal the trussrod slot before gluing the fretboard in place

once tension is on the trussrod, it's not going anywhere so there's no need to glue it in place. a very little bit of caulking is used by many, but I've not had need for it

all the best,

R

9. Interesting to hear that Rodent, I was going by the Melvyn Hiscox bible where you glued a fillet of wood in over the truss rod, which is a pain to cut, plane flat and make sure it's well glued on the sides only so the rod is not trapped. If you don't veneer, then you can save a lot of extra work and get a 2 or 3mm thinner neck as well. I never understood the reason behind the fillet of wood, unless it was insurance against the truss rod pushing the fingerboard off if it was made of wood with an oily content, and the glue didn't hold really well.

10. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Well Mon Rominee I've never had to take one off, and I hope I never have to. :) But I do place the adjustment area of mine on the body of the neck, and I just do neck-thrus. Some like it on the headstock side, it's not the way I like it.

Yep I'm with Rodent, tape to protect it on fingerboard glue up.
    Never had an issue with it either.
    Dirk

11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I don't believe that Hiscock's books addressed the dual action truss rod, but more of the traditional Fender type, which had a channel of changing depth.