Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gluing in string ferrules

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jan 29, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My Peavey 6-stringer has a string-through-body bridge. Pretty neat. I've always strung it up that way until this last string change, when, for a hoot, I decided to string my B, E, and A strings through the body, but not my D, G, and C strings. I figured maybe it might result in a little less tension on the higher strings, the results of which are minimal at best.

The point is, the unused string ferrules are not really attached to the bass in any way and slid right out into my case. (Luckily there, and not onstage or something.)

My question is, is there any reason I can't just glue them into their holes to keep them there? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never owned a string-through bass before. :smug:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have used super glue for putting in bushings for moughting a bridge. Worked quite well. That would also give the ferrules a good solid connection to the body if you use them again.

3. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you shoulden't glue them with super glue...
    And no matter how you install the strings it doesn't change the string tension a bit.
    Only string gauge and lenght (mensure) do.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I didn't *think* that there would be a problem, but it just seemed that they were designed not to stay in there.

And, I didn't think there would be a difference in tension, but it's always worth a shot to try something new. :D