Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gluing the body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ChaosGwar, May 12, 2002.

1. I'm building a body for a bass. I've got 4 pieces of wood that I need to fit together and glue.

The body will consist of wavy ash for the main bulk of the body, and a 5/16" curly walnut topwood. The 4 boards will be cut to these dimentions then shaped.

20.5" Length
    6.5" Width
    ~1" Thick for the ash
    5/16" thick for the walnut.

I'm assuming the easiest way to start this would be to fit and glue the boards before I start shaping them. What is the best glue to hold the boards together?

Is there a better or easier way to fit together the body woods? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Here is the Walnut I will be using.
    The body will be a bolt on neck if that makes any difference.

[​IMG]

Also, what type of routing for the control cavity would be recommended, front or back?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most people use regular Titebond to laminate guitar bodies.

Personally, for a bolt-on, I would laminate the two halves individually, then join them, then do the shaping.

Whether you do the electronics from the front or back should basically come down to how you want to do it. Most front-mounted controls require a faceplate of some kind, which is why I don't prefer them. You can buy templates for rear-mounted control cavities from Stew-Mac.