Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GM Discount for Everybody

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Jun 2, 2005.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    MODS: IF YOU THINK THIS IS SPAM, GO AHEAD & KILL IT. I WON'T BE OFFENDED.

For about a year now I've been offering GM Employee Discounts to TBers I normally communicate with who were considering buying new vehicles. Some have taken me up on the offer. I guess I can chill out for the next month or so. :)

FYI - When the article quotes 3 - 4% below invoice, that refers to the Dealer's invoice. In other words, up to 3 - 4% below dealer cost.

GM announce Employee Discount for Everybody

Peace,

James

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I was wondering about this. Does this include models made by manufacturers owned by GM? Doesn't GM own Saab? I'm not big on American model cars (notice I didn't say "American-made cars")...the styles just don't appeal to me, and never have. I'd totally be into buying one of the brands that is owned by GM...

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow, this is very cool. My wife is getting ready to sell her Durango, and she wants to buy a Yukon.

I did not realize you could hook us up. I am going to e-mail her this article. Thank you for letting us know.

-Mike

4. " Is this the free crack giveaway?"

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think it includes Saab as well as most of the rest of the GM family except for the corvette.

Anyone can find out the exact prices by going to www.gm.com

brad cook

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just checked on a Tahoe like the one my wife wants at our local Chevy dealer. The price with employee discount is $11K less than what they are asking for it on the lot.

-Mike

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Bah! I'm elligible for a higher discount from Ford just because my father works for a company Ford used to own. I can use this discount anytime, and it's not just a promotion.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I guarantee you that your supplier discount at Ford is not anywhere near a GM Employee Discount. I've been with GM 26 years. My wife was with Ford for 11 years. I'm VERY familiar with both plans. Both have very similar supplier discount plans. The GM employee discount has always been slightly better than the Ford plan. If you're focused on the "3 -4% off invoice", that's 3-4% below dealer cost, not sticker cost. That amounts to 14 - 20+ per cent off sticker, depending on the vehicle.

Peace,

James

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I, for one, am most thankful to you for providing the info James.

-Mike

10. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    no offense but i hate gm there products except for saab although i don't know if they are any good now are cheap and not very well built

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Well, that post makes alot of sense :rolleyes:

12. this is the perfect thread to send to your guitar playing, ride mooching friends.

"Get your own wheels ya loser" :D

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If you don't like the beer, don't come to the party. There are hundreds of other threads begging for your participation.

Peace,

James

14. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Hey James, would the discount apply to parts too, or only new vehicles?

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Only vehicles.

16. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Very well put. :)

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You get a discount on GM cars through a company that used to belong to Ford?! That's crazy!

:p

brad cook

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I would qualify for the X plan, from what I know, it's changed a bit since New Holland of America merged with Case. When New Holland was "Ford New Holland," it was the A Plan, which was 15% off of the sticker at the time. I think the X plan is at least 10% off the sticker before the merger. I'm not completely up to speed on either discount from either company, this is just what I've picked up over the years...

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Hu-wuh?
    :spit:

20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    James, great deals, still to rich for my blood, I buy used about a year old the Envoy I checked was 32 grand. I bet I could find it a year old for 22K! Big difference on my budget. What do you think this will do to resale? man I would not have wanted to spend 8K more 6 months ago, talk about a resale hit. When am I going to see the Bongo?
    Steve