1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GM joins Ford in discontinuing many sedans

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Nov 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Say buhbye to these GM sedans:
    • Chevy Volt
    • Chevy Cruze
    • Chevy Impala
    • Buick LaCrosse
    • Cadillac XTS
    • Cadillac CT6
    GM to kill Chevrolet Volt, Cruze, Impala as Americans ditch passenger cars

General Motors is killing several passenger cars, including the Chevrolet Volt and Chevrolet Cruze, two compact vehicles that were held up as examples of the automaker's post-bankruptcy revival.

The move — part of a sweeping cost-cutting plan unveiled Monday — comes as Americans are abandoning passenger cars in favor of crossovers, SUVs and pickups.

The automaker will no longer make the Volt semi-electric car and the Cruze compact sedan for sale in North America beginning in March, Chevy spokesman Kevin Kelly confirmed.

GM will also discontinue the Chevrolet Impala full-size car, the company confirmed. It will end U.S. production in March and Canadian production in the fourth quarter of 2019.

Kelly declined to say whether the company would sell any of those products in markets outside North America.

The company will also end U.S. sales of the Cadillac XTS and Buick LaCrosse luxury cars after production ends in March. And the Cadillac CT6 will be killed off in the U.S. after mid-2019, though it will continue to be sold in China.

2. I'm in the "meh" camp. I like my Malibu better than either the Cruze or the Impala. Anyway, on the road I see mostly pickup trucks, compact and mid-sized SUVs.

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I heard a report yesterday saying part of this closure is to allow GM to focus more on electric and autonomous vehicles. I’ve wondered for a number of years why we have not seen more development of an autopilot system for controlled access roadways. We have the technology to pull it off and it would be a giant step forward in ground transportation.
    I get the transition problems but that bullet will have to be bit at some point and putting it off will not make it easier.

4. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    The thought of a bunch of autonomous vehicles roaming the highways scares me to no end. How many systems have to function properly for that to work? Computer crashes or worse some sort of hack?

No darn way.

Fishheadjoe likes this.
  5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Bye bye GM in Oshawa..near Toronto.....Long long history of Auto industry is that town that was built on the industry

Thousands reeling in shock

6. A mixture of changes in business patterns and impacts of trade policy.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh wow. We almost bought a Volt in 2013.

-Mike