Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gmail!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Jun 30, 2004.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Who here has got gmail. If you do, i was wondering whether any of you know where to get those xxxxx@gmail.com banners. they look real groovy. My address is djc123<at>gmail{dot}[com] or
    dave.clark69<at>gmail{dot}[com]

2. g-male?

3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    NO no no. Gmail. Its google mail. Invite only, 1000mb, still in BETA testing!

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What? Are you emailing "The Lord Of The Rings" box set to somebody?

5. email google and ask nicely.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have gmail. I love it. I also have SBC Yahoo Plus, which is 2.0 gigs of storage. I haven't decided which I'll stay with.

7. stay with gmail, just to piss dave off. il give you a doller if you do, and i'll be your best friend.

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i had an account. but i went to gmailswap.com or something and swapped it for a first pressing of pixies - surfa rosa and some other stuff :oops:

it was a good deal.
    a cd i've always wanted, signed sleater-kinney stuff and 5 more cd's, in exchange for an email account i would have never used.

people are trading crazy stuff!
    4lbs of fresh smoked salmon delievered (my mum really wanted me to trade for that :p )

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have some gmail invites left, I've invited a bunch of people but they keep giving me more. PM me with your email address and I'll invite people as I get more invites

edit: ok, so I'm out of invites right now after doing a few! As I get more invites, I'll dish them out in order of asking

cheers

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm in. So far so good, except for some brief downtime on invite days which I'm sure they'll iron out. I'm very impressed with the Gmail features, but then I've been using Juno so just about anything will impress me. :meh:

11. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    HO ho ho guys. I have gmail. i was just wondering where you can get those signatures with your address. Have you seen it? Its got your address the the @gmail.com bit, which looks rather sparklingly good! Whats with the invites too, are they random or something. I had some and used them. My mate said that there was a message from google saying that Gmail is limited. they will only be giving out a certain amount more of invites! Makes me think we should sell them on!

12. My question is...why do you need 2?

13. anybody feel like giving me g-mail? i would be your best friend :)

14. STFU

STFU

Jun 17, 2004
    ummm... what's so special about gmail that it's so exclusive and everybody is so hot to get it? This is "google mail," right? I didn't find any info listed at Google.com, though I confess I didn't do a Google search...

15. it has migs and megs of space, or something!!!

16. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    I have been using GMAIL for a while and these are the things I like about it:

Great web-interface.
    Great performance (something that can't be taken for granted with network applications).
    Interesting ways to organize mail (used to lots of filing? GMAIL is a little different).
    Nice spell checker that does not require a page refresh.
    Lots of space.
    Ads will be minimal.
    Handy keyboard shortcuts (something that can't be taken for granted with network applications).
    A few more things that escape my mind.

The reason it is not more visible on google.com is that the service is still in testing. Once Google is sure all or enough kinks are worked out they will open it up for everyone.

----
    EDIT:

One more thing. The reason 1024 MBs is nice is not because it can accomodate very large attachments (in fact, I think if you attached a movie file the 'attach' code would timeout before uploading the data). The real reason is so that you never have to delete any non-spam email. This is made practical by the large storage limit, some newish sorting ideas, and the 'famous' power of Google search for your mail.

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    for everyone who has pm'ed me: I'm out of invites right now. Last week, I got 5 invites per day and used 'em all. When I get more, I'll do them on a first come, first served basis

18. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    You were saying about 1024mb. I thought it was saying "1gb free" then below that it says "1000mb" - which is it?. Also, Mr Wilson, how do you get so many invites?

19. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    My GMAIL does indeed say 'You are currently using X MB (X %) of your 1000MB.' Maybe they rounded the figure to make it more friendly (truncating the 24 MB would only thow off the meter by 2 percent). 1024 MBs (2^30 bytes) is more accurately called a Gibibyte, but that is not common yet and so we have base 2 and base 10 confusions.

20. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No idea, I thought they gave everyone more invites when they were ready to expand some more, or maybe it's random?