1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GMC basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Aug 9, 2007.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Just curious because a new student has one of these, a very cheap red P/J 4-string, and my first impressions have been very favorable. Very nice bass! Way better than many SXs I've played. Couldn't find anything after a search, so I'd like to hear some comments on these instruments just for the sake of curiosity. Thank you in advance!

2. [​IMG]

lol, sorry no idea :p.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

He, he... I knew it was going to happen! :D

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Hi again.

I'm resurrecting this thread because now I can give you fellow TalkBassers detailed info about this brand. I felt very curious since I couldn't find any information about GMC instruments. Googled "GMC basses", "GMC guitars", "GMC instruments" and nothing related appeared... until I googled "bajos GMC" (Spanish for "GMC basses") and found a thread at bajoelectrico.com, a bass forum in Spanish.

There are two versions about what "GMC" stands for: Someone said that it means "Guitars Made in China", but another guy said that it means "Grupo Musical Cedar" ("Cedar Music Group"), which is a group of three stores based in Medellín, Colombia: "Musical Cedar", "El Redoblante" ("The snare drum") and "Todo Música". According to that guy, GMC guitars and basses are instruments made in Taiwan on request, and it seems that the Cedar group is the only store that asks for those instruments and yes, I found them in stock (only four-stringers right now, but they told me that 5 and 6-string basses can be found as well).

Well, I'm sure all of you remember this thread I created some weeks ago. Last week, the girl told me that she definitely hates her bass' long upper horn no matter how low she wears it, and that she doesn't feel the neck comfortable (it's very baseball bat-like). "I want to sell it and get a different one, but my budget is extremely limited", she said, so I thought of a GMC since it really impressed me as a starter bass, as I said in my first post. And it's very cheap! At the current exchange rate, a 4-string GMC bass costs US$140 plus shipping. I clearly remembered that it's an overall "slim" bass, so I suggested her to get one. She gave me the money and I ordered one from "El Redoblante" (I didn't ask them about these instruments' real origin. I'll send them an e-mail asking for info).

It arrived today and here are my opinions...

First I must say that I've tried many entry level basses and the only ones that had convinced me are made by Yamaha and Ibanez. I ABSOLUTELY HATE Squiers and SXs (And I'm not a gear snob. Actually, the diversity of opinions at TalkBass has made me appreciate cheap gear a lot more :) ) because my lack of chemistry with Fender-style basses combined with the fact that most SXs and Squiers I've tried to setup have not working truss rods, stripped screw heads and not so adjustable pickup height is definitely a huge turn-off for me.

On the other hand, everything from this GMC (and the other two I've played before) works perfectly well, the truss rod works, no stripped screws and I could set the pickups' height according to my taste. To me, a GMC is the DEFINITIVE STARTER BASS. One of the coolest things to me is that, regardless of being an extremely cheap bass, it doesn't feel cheap (Of course it doesn't feel as a high quality instrument either). OK, not so great paint job, but the bass is extremely comfortable to play and it sounds really great for its price. Wanna see pics? (Warning: Lots!)

GMCbass001.

GMCbass002.

GMCbass003.

GMCbass004.

GMCbass006.

GMCbass007.

GMCbass008.

24-fret fingerboard:

GMCbass009.

GMCbass010.

GMCbass011.

GMCbass012.

GMCbass013.

GMCbass014.

GMCbass015.

Angled headstock:

GMCbass016.

GMCbass017.

GMCbass018.

GMCbass019.

And you won't believe its weight:

GMCbass020.

(Re-checked my bathroom scale's zero adjustment before putting the bass on, of course)

Now some audio clips (all recorded with the tone knob fully open). Noisy of course, as expected from a cheap bass:

- Fingerstyle - both pickups.

- Fingerstyle - P pickup solo.

- Fingerstyle - J pickup solo.

- Slap - both pickups.

- Slap - P pickup solo.

- Slap - J pickup solo.

I don't lose sight of the fact that it's a cheap bass, but again, it's way better than an SX or a Squier to me. These are only first impressions and maybe I will return in a couple of months saying something like "Forget it. It's a complete P.O.S.", but right now this bass is "competing" under the same conditions in which I've tried other entry level basses, and it's the winner in my list. If it passes the test of time, maybe I'll think of getting one for me just to have an ultra-cheap but decent bass in my arsenal (I'd never thought of doing something like that. It's all TalkBass' fault. :D ).

Hope you find this review interesting. Thanks for reading!

5. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Wow, looks great! Sounds good too! :bassist:

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I dont know for me, it looks really cheap and I hope that it doesnt have that much buzz going on sounded like you were playing with a hive of pissed off bee's..

Nice playing though. :) I did like that.

But thats just my Honest opinion

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Thanks, man. :)

8. Is that a rosewood nut??
    Is that some kinda plastic guard on the bottom??
    Frets look pretty rough on the edge; are they?

9. I'm sure glad they put a sticker on the neck telling you not to discard the bass.....:smug: I mean, thank goodness, I almost would have.

Seriously tho, yeah, it looks a bit budget, but if it's serviceable and the kid can play and learn on it, then it's win win.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Don't know what kind of wood is that, man (yes, it looks like rosewood). I also noticed in the pictures that kind of "plastic guard" (looks weird), but that's just my camera's flash reflected on the paint (a not so gradual transition from blue to black, BTW). Frets don't bother me when playing.

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

:D

12. Hey Álvaro, yo desde hace raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaato uso una copia de fender jazz GMC, tiene buen peso y es buenísimo para hacer desastres (le puse cuerdas gruesas, a veces lo toco con baquetas y destornilladores, y también lo estrello contra los ampletos o los monitores). Lo q' lo hizo + caro fue q' logré q' los Misfits me lo firmaran cuando vinieron :D