Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GMC Canyon Crew Cab vs. ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by karrot-x, Jun 19, 2005.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ok, I need a truck! When I graduate I've been told I get to recieve a vehicle as part of a present and a "here you go, now make enough money to pay us back later" thing.

Here's what I need:
    *Gas - very important
    *Size - very important
    *Power - I drive a 95 yukon right now and that thing can scream, I need something comparable.
    *Nice - it's gotta be "nice", i dont go for cheap things especially when it's a car.

After all these fields I think the Canyon is my best bet. I need to keep it under 28k MSRP, has to be a GM product as well. My family works for GM and we have GM credit cards so those two things will help lower the price.

Anyone drive the Canyon crew cab 5 speed manual? That's ideal y what I want in superior metalic.

Cars I've already looked at:
    *Ford range - pro's style | con's gas, engine, price, interior
    *Nissan Frontier - pro's engine | con's gas, price, interior, exterior
    *Toyota Tacoma - pro's price | con's gas, interior, style, exterior, engine

What else am I looking for? Also, it must be comparable to the size of the crew cab because I currently have the yukon and have got acustome to being a shofer; which I enjoy.

Thanks!

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'd get a Tacoma TRD... those are hawt.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    For what you want I wouldn't expect anything to get good gas mileage. You may as well accept that fact now, rather than be disappointed later.

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    For all the vehicles you picked, you'll find that fuel economy is pretty close among them. Ford's 4 cyl gets slightly better mileage than all the other 4 cyl, the GMC 5 cyl gets slightly better than the others' 6 cyl.

The GMC is probably middle of the pack for bed-space / cargo room and middle of the pack for power and acceleration.

I think all of them except the Ford have decent interiors and very nice uplevel interiors. This is just personal opinion.

Peace,

James

5. I think the new Tacomas are the best new trucks out. Thats my next truck.

Look at this beauty:
    [​IMG]

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    19/25 in my opinion is good gas mileage. That is the Canyon 5 speed manual in 2wd. I'm not looking for 30/50 or anything like that. I think I'm going to have to go with the smaller 175 hp canyon engine. Man I really need to test drive it.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Actually, of you want decent fuel economy, decent power, good looks and nice interior for under 28K, you could get a Chevy Trailblazer EXT or GMC Envoy XL SUV. If you get the one with the V8, it's a 300 hp engine with Displacement on Demand. In other words, when it doesn't need the power, it runs in 4 cylinder mode. When you need the power, you get all 8 cylinders. It gets the same city and better highway mileage than the 6 cylinder model.

With the GM Employee pricing that's going on, you can get a $36,000 truck for right around $27 - 28,000.

Peace,

James

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have been eyeing the Canyon too. Looks like a truck. I also always liked inline engines, much smoother than Vs IMHO. Though I have never owned a V12 ;)

I have the Ford Ranger. I like the interior, what is wrong with it? It is running great, so I will probably end up keeping it a few more years. Plus, it is paid for :D

However, I find the 3L gutless. When travelling in the Canadian Maritimes with full camping gear (for tenting, not a trailer) it dies in the hills ... and the hills are the only place to pass :(

<rant>
    When I bought my Ford Ranger, you went in, picked the options you wanted and bought it. Now, I cannot get the 4L without an extended cab :mad: I don't want an extended cab, but I want the 4L since I know the 3L dosen't cut it. A 6' box is the *minimum* usable for me. Now that is considered the "long box".

If I can trust the web site, GM will let me pick the cab size, the interior, and the engine. That is how it should be.

No "if you want the power windows, you have to get the 4x4" ala Toyota. The powered windows run off the transfer case? No, if you want the 4L you have to have the extended cab ala Ford. Is the engine so big you have to sit in the back?
    </rant>

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    New note, just tried the Frontier. Man that thing has got some power under it. I'm really liking it much better then the Colorado. Still need to try a Canyon.

10. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'm having evil flashbacks to the Caddy V8-6-4 of the 80's. You could always tell when one came into the shop because all the Tech's would run and hide. No one wanted to work on one.

Hopefully this time the idea actually works.

11. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If that's actual mileage, not the "EPA Estimated" mileage, then it's not too bad.

12. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you're looking for guts, the Tacoma and Frontier with V6s will completely destroy the GM's I5, although they might lose a MPG or two because of it. But hey - you're dealing with trucks. You really can't put mileage as a high priority or you'd be looking at the Aveo. ;)

Personally - I'd stay away from GM due to reliability concerns as well as not being as developed as the competition - BUT, this is just my opinion, and a hefty rebate makes a Colorado/Canyon seem a bit more palatable. :smug:

One last note regarding cabin size. The GM platform is extremely narrow by todays standards, meaning that the crew cab is much smaller compared to the Frontier's or especially the Tacoma.

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Do you need a truck? Do you guys even have utes over there?

Utes > Trucks IMO. Cheaper, lighter & more cargo room.

That's why I own a 74 XC. Very nice :cool:

[​IMG]

Just imagine that, in ute form. With a black bonnet/flat top and dark silver bottom half.