GMP basses? What's the word on them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillSC, Oct 29, 2002.

1. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    What, if any, is the feedback on GMP basses? Thanks...
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I consider myself a gear junkie, and I've never 'hoid of 'em . . .
  3. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I am not familiar with them either. I saw 4 or 5 of them on Ebay...They are pretty, just dont know if they play well. There dont seem to be many reviews on them. That might not be a good sign either!
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

German right??
  5. Nah, they're made in San Dimas, CA (where Bill and Ted are from). I tried one at Guitar Center once and it had a really nice neck, but it looked like a typical Guitar Center victim and the output of the MM pickup at the bridge was way lower than the output of the neck pickup. I bet it would be pretty nice if the electronics were working correctly.
  6. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks fr the info. I must say, the ones I saw on ebay were pretty. These had Basslines and were ging for about a grand!
  7. I've played a couple of the GMP basses at Guitar Center. They didn't do anything for me in playability, tone or aesthetics, and they cost more than $2,000.
    You can do way better for a lot less money, IMO.
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I'm friends with Dave who founded the co. He is more of a guitar maker and does basses just because. The guitars are awesome and he has some cool users including a couple of the guys from Guns and Roses and Neil Gerardo(Pat Benatar). The basses he makes are good to look at but tend to be a bit heavy. Electronics are a problem because it's very hard for him to get hooked up with the manufactures because he makes so few. That's the story. I'd buy one just on looks, especially if you're a rocker:D

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't know 'em, therefore they can't be German :D
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

11. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks for the info, Rob!
  12. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I think my bosses @ work said that some of their hair metal bands play GMPs. I think Warrant, Poison, Skid Row, or LA Gunns. I could be wrong. thats all